Backup PS2 Games .. Diffinitive answer(s) please

Hi,

Dont flame me for this! Been in search section for ps2 etc but all seem to be 3rd party comments on other subject threads that dont answer in full a simple question. This forum is the best but can be a victim of its success IE MASSIVE resource can sometimes be hard to narrow down information.

So …

Can I backup a PS2 game on a pc to standard CDRW disks that will work in a ps2 after the backup?

If so, I have DVD Xcopy Xpress, Nero 6, BlindWrite 5, Daemon Tools and Sony DVD-RW DRU-350A drive.

With this software and this drive, can this be done?

Plus any “toptips” would help.

Thanks in advance

:slight_smile:

there are 2 different media that playstation 2 games come on.

They can come on cd’s and DVD’s.

If its a cd then yes you can back it up to a cd (maybe a cdrw too but ive never tried). If its a dvd then you have to back it up to a dvd

from what ive heard many people use dvd decrypter in its ISO format to read and write their copies

And you will ALWAYS need a mod chip or some kind of device (like swap card or something) to use them after you back up

OK thanks.

So to confirm, the actual playstation itself would need a modification (hardware) to play a clone?

Originally posted by pinky106
[B]OK thanks.

So to confirm, the actual playstation itself would need a modification (hardware) to play a clone? [/B]

Yes

(short and simple answer :wink: )

Right, all noted & thanks for speedy replies.

Originally posted by LordOberon
If its a cd then yes you can back it up to a cd (maybe a cdrw too but ive never tried).

You must use a cdr. A cdrw will not work even with a mod chip.

what programs would you use to backup the game?

use nero. works every time.

for both cd and dvd games?

nero is pretty solid in all areas except copy protected PC games.

I have never copied and CD ps2 games, but all copies of DVD PS2 games have worked (on ritek G04 DVD-r media) with a messiah modchip. All recent games are DVD games.

Try using DVD Decrypter in ISO mode. Don’t have a PS2 to try it on but this is what alot of people are using these days.

Originally posted by Womble
Try using DVD Decrypter in ISO mode. Don’t have a PS2 to try it on but this is what alot of people are using these days.
Maybe this is because ps2 games now have some movie style encryption? I haven’t copied a game for a few weeks now …

most of the new DVD PS2 games also have film clips on them from movies, so Womble is correct , try using DVD Decrypter or Alcohol 120% both will do it OK , DVD+ seems to load faster on PS2

faster as in what - load sucess rate?
I haveb’t noticed any difference between my originals and dvd-r copies.

I haven’t had much luck with DVD-R on my PS2 some times they load and other times it takes ages or doesn’t even want to load, but DVD+R works OK every time, it might just be the model of PS2 and the chip in it and the DVD burner used to burn the disks that makes the difference between + and - media. :cool:

come to think of it my cousins chipped their ps2 at the same time with the same chip and their system tends to be a bit more pickey with media, so i think there is variation in playability od copies depending on the model of machine

First of all, Hi all, this is my first post.

I had done a few back-ups a few months ago, but now I wanna back up a few more PS2 game disks I keep getting coasters.
I have forgot how I managed to do them before :o :confused:

I have most programmes that’ve been mentioned on here :smiley:
And my system is more than cabable (2Gz CPU with 1GB ram), I have a Lite-on DVD rom, CDRW & 106 DVDrw, and I’ve a few different DVDr disks, including Datawrite Yellow’s.

Can anyone post some sort of simple instruction of the process?
Or is it as simple as disk copy in Nero, with the likes of AnyDVD running?

Hi mdjs2002
I have only tried Backing Up PS2 with Alcohol 120 ,all you need to do is set it to Play Station 2 games and it should work , for more Information go to the Alcohol 120 part of this forum. I believe you can also use DVD Decryter to make a Image and burn it with Nero:)