Backup proedures and dvdsmith software

Guys,

I have 2 questions which I’m sure someone can answer.

My first question is: Is the a preferred backup program or procedure to protect all my ripped DVDs which are on hard drive? and can the backups be done using less space? Meaning in order to backup 1TB of ISO/VOB files do I have to have another 1TB drive?

y second question is: Has anyone used the DVDSMITH program? Seems to rip DVDs to VOB format on your hard drive pretty good. Can anyone comment on this as far as reliability etc.?

DVDFAB works just fne forme but a few friends think this DVDSmith would be just as good since I have switched from burning DVDs, to ripping to Hard drives as I have them on a NAS streamed to a network media tank.

Thanks a bunch.

The only thing I can comment on is DVDSmith. I’ve tried and it works as advertised, but your ripping choices are limited, it’s either the whole disk or main movie. There are no options and no parameters to set. If you are happy with DVDFab stick with it as there is nothing to be gained by using DVDSmith.

DVDsmith :Z will never even come close to DVDFab :disagree: DVDFab is in a league all by itself, with all the great feature and constant updates to fit the users needs :cool: ya just can’t ask for a better software or support :bigsmile:
So if you want to use the other more power to ya :flower: I have a lot of tools in my toolbox and most likely will add more but DVDsmith [B]will not[/B] be one of them :bigsmile:

DVDFab is far more powerful with better support and more user control over the ripping process. The thing that sets DVDFab apart is not so much the burning engine but the way the rips are done, even if just to a file/media server and not to disc.

Yes, your backups can be done in less space, but in most cases only at the expense of inferior video quality [B]or[/B] much longer processing time. Hard drives are cheap, buy some more. DVDFab has lots of features to make your backups smaller by removing content or compressing it.

freeware…

both dvdfab and dvdsmith appear to have the same features

[ul]
[li]decrypt[/li][li]rip[/li][li]no compression[/li][li]select audio[/li][li]select subtitles[/li][li]main movie[/li][li]full disc[/li][/ul]

[U]dvdfab will not produce ISO output[/U] :Z

[quote=troy512;2219439]freeware…

both dvdfab and dvdsmith appear to have the same features

[ul]
[li]decrypt[/li][li]rip[/li][li]no compression[/li][li]select audio[/li][li]select subtitles[/li][li]main movie[/li][li]full disc[/li][/ul]
[U]dvdfab will not produce ISO output[/U] :Z

.[/quote]This I have been told is just temporary.

Wonder why :confused:
It’s not because it is broke but just disabled :frowning:
of course it does work with the paid version :iagree:
maybe pay is the key word :eek:

I have a paid Platnium license:iagree:. I was just curious about the DVDsmith as I heard it from a friend ho swears by it for coping movies to hard drive.

Currently I use DVDFAB and copy main movies with NO COMPRSSION to try and maintain the original quality. That of course can eat up drive space quickly. If you have 3 1TB drives full of movies then I also need 3 1TB drives for the back ups. Now thats 6 1TB drives and counting:eek:. I was under the impression that compressed backups once restored would contain 100% of the quality and data? no?:confused:

[quote=nosvet;2219582]I have a paid Platnium license:iagree:. I was just curious about the DVDsmith as I heard it from a friend ho swears by it for coping movies to hard drive.

Currently I use DVDFAB and copy main movies with NO COMPRSSION to try and maintain the original quality. [B]That of course can eat up drive space quickly[/B]. If you have 3 1TB drives full of movies then I also need 3 1TB drives for the back ups. Now thats 6 1TB drives and counting:eek:. I was under the impression that compressed backups once restored would contain 100% of the quality and data? no?:confused:[/quote]
Let me ask you something at the end of each movie do you read the credits ?, I know I don’t and if you was to remove the credits from each movie that you have on your hDD how much space would you gain back :wink: maybe room for a few more movies :bigsmile:
Have a nice day :flower:

[QUOTE=signals;2219446]This I have been told is just temporary.[/QUOTE]

me too.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2219625]Let me ask you something at the end of each movie do you read the credits ?, I know I don’t and if you was to remove the credits from each movie that you have on your hDD how much space would you gain back :wink: maybe room for a few more movies :bigsmile:
Have a nice day :flower:[/QUOTE]

I assume the last vob file would be the credits?

It will contain the credits yes but can also contain part of the movie :eek: so would not advise you to just delete that last VOB :disagree: , if you are going to edit out the credits just rip to your HDD first before burning and once the movie is saved to the HDD you can use DVD Shrink to re-author the movie and remove only the credits this will cut down on how much compression is need and eliminate any picture quality loss as much as possible :wink: