Backup problem

vbimport

hi all, i’ve been trying to learn about computers on my own, but i can’t figure this one out. i have an emachine that the hard drive crashed. i always used it to backup my dvd’s and convert vhs to dvd. i lost the os cd but had an oem from another machine. forgot to mention both machines were xp home edition. the problem is i cannot backup dvd’s anymore. when i start the backup using dvdfab free version i get a dialog box that says read/write error. the dvd rom and dvd burner will play cd’s &dvd’s after i downloaded some codec’s. both drives are liteon. i’m leaning towards drivers, but i’m not sure. any helpwould be appreciated.
thanks, lonn:

[QUOTE=lonn;2543902]hi all, i’ve been trying to learn about computers on my own, but i can’t figure this one out. i have an emachine that the hard drive crashed. i always used it to backup my dvd’s and convert vhs to dvd. i lost the os cd but had an oem from another machine. forgot to mention both machines were xp home edition. the problem is i cannot backup dvd’s anymore. when i start the backup using dvdfab free version i get a dialog box that says read/write error. the dvd rom and dvd burner will play cd’s &dvd’s after i downloaded some codec’s. both drives are liteon. i’m leaning towards drivers, but i’m not sure. any helpwould be appreciated.
thanks, lonn:[/QUOTE]

Which version of DVDFab are you using ? also the title of the problematic DVD or are you having this issue with all DVD movie titles ?

hi StormJunper. at first i had dvdfab 7and then upgraded to 8.0.0.5. i did not uninstall dvdfab 7 until i had already installed 8, but they both did the same thing,read/write error. it has happened with all the dvd’s i tried. on a whim i downloaded anydvd trial version and had to enable aggressive i/o and it worked great on the one dvd i tried. i don’t have imgburn but i will try a clean uninstall of dvdfab in the morning per your post. then download dvdfab 8 again. i know imgburn is good cause i had it when i used to do dual layer backups.

again thanks for all the help now and in the future
lonn

[QUOTE=lonn;2543902]the problem is i cannot backup dvd’s anymore. when i start the backup using dvdfab free version i get a dialog box that says read/write error.[/QUOTE]

Are these newer flicks?..IIRC, the free version is several weeks behind the paid version…IME, consistently read/write probs are drive related, IOW,[I] maybe[/I] the drive(s) are finally going kaput(just a thought)…Have you tried ripping/copying on a different system and or using other drives?..
Are the disc(s) in good shape?..Try cleaning them before ripping, you never know!..
And btw you shouldn’t have to delete ver.7 since they can both be installed w/o issues…

[QUOTE=lonn;2543912]hi StormJunper. at first i had dvdfab 7and then upgraded to 8.0.0.5. i did not uninstall dvdfab 7 until i had already installed 8, but they both did the same thing,read/write error. it has happened with all the dvd’s i tried. on a whim i downloaded anydvd trial version and had to enable aggressive i/o and it worked great on the one dvd i tried. i don’t have imgburn but i will try a clean uninstall of dvdfab in the morning per your post. then download dvdfab 8 again. i know imgburn is good cause i had it when i used to do dual layer backups.

again thanks for all the help now and in the future
lonn[/QUOTE]

Hi Lonn

I suggest you check the transfer rate of your drive/drives and make sure they are in DMA mode and not PIO, or you can just go into common settings-> “General” and click on the “Reset DMA” button…also check the I/O setting while your in common settings :wink:

Hi guys, back again. Did a clean uninstall of dvdfab 8. Downloaded and installed again, got same problem, read/write error. Looked into what storm jumper posted and found my ide controlers had no advanced settings tab. So I don’t know if DMA is applied or not. Did some reading on how to get the tab, but am kind of leary about trying it on my own. I’ve tried several differnt dvd’s and always the same result. Some are my original dvd’s and others are backups.

Thanks again
lonn

[QUOTE=lonn;2544033]Hi guys, back again. Did a clean uninstall of dvdfab 8. Downloaded and installed again, got same problem, read/write error. Looked into what storm jumper posted and found my ide controlers had no advanced settings tab. So I don’t know if DMA is applied or not. Did some reading on how to get the tab, but am kind of leary about trying it on my own. I’ve tried several differnt dvd’s and always the same result. Some are my original dvd’s and others are backups.

Thanks again
lonn[/QUOTE]

If your drive/drives are SATA then you’ll not have the setting, if the drive support DMA it should be enabled automatically, course if you system is a Dell they have been known to have DMA disabled in BIOS.

You may want to try going into common settings-> “Pathplayer” and disable it, some older movie titles don’t like Pathplayer and it needs to be disabled for those older movies.

Also while in common settings click on “Read” and check the I/O mode and make sure it is set to “Auto” if it is try (SPTI)

[B]SJ[/B]

Oh and just to add to my lst reply you may want to check the problematic DVDs for bad sectors using nerop CD/DVD speed, now the backup DVDs your having trouble with will not be a problem using CD speed however the orignal DVDs will most likely have copy protection so the program is unable to open them to do the scan…But you can install DVDFab "Passkey and have it open the DVDs first before starting nero CD speed :wink:

You can download “Passkey” here-> http://club.myce.com/f116/dvdfab-passkey-7-0-5-2-beta-out-september-6-2010-a-315518/

Note…When Passkey opens the disc you will see a notification in the lower right corner of your screen.

[B]SJ[/B]

Hi all, First of all I want to thank everyone for their. I would still be pulling hair out without it. The problem is solved. I went back to look to see if the drives were set to DMA but there was no advanced setting box. I searched on how to get the advanced setting tab displayed and found the solution which worked for me.I’m going to post the steps so maybe it might help another person.
click start at lower left corner on screen
right click my computer left click properties
click on hardware, then click on device manager
click + on ata controllers right click properties
click on drivers
click on update drivers
In Hardware Update Wizard click on install from list or location click next
click Don’t search I will choose the driver to install click next
I highlighted Standard dual channel PCI IDE controller click
I had to restart my machine at this point for the changes to take place.
When I went back to device manager and looked at the drives they had DMA enabled and then I ran DVDFAB and it worked great.
I hope what I did ( with help) will help someone else. Once again, thanks for all the help

Hi lonn

Glad your up and running :clap: and we was able to help and the suggestion for the DMA led you to the fix :wink:

If you have any more issues with DVDFab and need help we have a DVDFab forum [B]Here[/B]

[B]SJ[/B]