Backup of SecuROM 7.2 and SafeDisc 4.7 CDs and DVDs

This guide will hopefully be some help for people creating a working backup of SecuROM 7.27 and SafeDisc 4.7 protected CDs/DVDs. I used two different methods creating a backup:
(Always use the latest version of the software and tools I mentioned as they can be out of date any time and may not work with newer versions of SecuROM and SafeDisc)

[ul]
[li]First method (CDs and DVDs) running it from a virtual drive using Alcohol 120%/Alcohol 52% Free Edition, Daemon Tools, Y.A.S.U, ProtSt0p and my device manager (you’ll see later what this means).[/li]
[li]Second Method (DVDs) creating a physical backup using emulation in combination with Alcohol 120% and DaemonTools (Note: This won’t work using Alcohol 52%)[/li][/ul]

Before I start here’s a list with my System, Software, Tools, Hardware and Games I used for the guide:

System:

• [li]Windows XP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)[/li]Processor info: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.60GHz (2605MHz)
    Memory Available to Windows: 1.048.052 KB

Software:

[ul]
[li]Alcohol 52% Free Edition 1.9.6 ( Build 4719) (Freeware)[/li][li]Alcohol 120% 1.9.6 ( Build 4719 ) (Shareware)[/li](Settings are the same for both Alcohol versions while Alcohol 120% can also burn your image Alcohol 52% can just read to an image file!)
[li]DAEMON Tools (I’ll use DTools as a shortcut) 4.08HE SPTD 1.38 (Freeware) (Always use the latest DTools version because old blacklist problems may be solved by the developers and you won’t need any extra tools to run the game from your vdrive!)[/li][/ul]

Tools

[ul]
[li]Pr0t.St0p v1.0 (Read the instructions before you use it the first time!)[/li][li]Y.A.S.U 1.05 (Read the instructions before you use it the first time!)[/li][li]Windows Device Manager[/li][/ul]

Hardware:

[ul]
[li]NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A, Firmware Version: 1.04[/li][li]TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1712, Firmware Version: J004 (reading drive)[/li][/ul]

Games (Scanned with Protection ID):

[ul]
[li]Madden NFL 07, Safedisc 4.70.000[/li][li]Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent, SecuROM 7.27.0014[/li][/ul]

First method:

[ul]
[li]For CDs[/li]
[li]Start Alcohol open the Image Making Wizard[/li][li]Choose your optical drive with your CD you want to backup[/li][li]For SafeDisc protected games use SafeDisc profile[/li][li]For SecuROM protected games use SecuROM *NEW (4/5/7) profile[/li][li]Click Next and choose the Image Location where you save your image[/li][li]Hit Next and set your Measuring Speed for the DPM function which will just appear for the SecuROM settings not for SafeDisc settings (Choose a low Measuring Speed for CDs for a better result like 1x to 16x times you may have to test a bit with your CD/DVD drive/s which speed is the best. I’m always using speed between 1x to 4x with my Toshiba)[/li][li]While you’re reading the DPM don’t touch your PC and close all unnecessary processes, from my own experience you’ll get a better result[/li][li]When the dumping process is done mount your image using DTools[/li][li]Now comes the ‘tricky’ part, for your SecuROM protected CDs use Y.A.S.U or ProtSt0p to hide your drives (read the readme files of each tool before using it!) before you start the game[/li][li]For your SafeDisc protected CDs (this also works for SecuROM protected games without the tools I mentioned before!) these tools didn’t work so you have to disable your IDE channel connected to your optical drives (CDRW, DVDRW, CDROM, DVDROM) in your device manager and then start the game Update: Y.A.S.U works with latest SafeDisc titles up to version 4.7[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]For DVDs[/li]
[li]Start Alcohol open the Image Making Wizard[/li][li]Choose your optical drive with your DVD you want to backup[/li][li]For SafeDisc protected games don’t change anything in the settings[/li][li]For SecuROM protected games tick Data Position Measurement, Precision: High [/li][li]Click Next and choose the Image Location where you save your image[/li][li]Hit Next and set your Measuring Speed for the DPM function which will just appear for the SecuROM settings not for SafeDisc settings (Alcohol support recommends Measuring Speed Maximum for the best result using DVDs)[/li][li]While you’re reading the DPM don’t touch your PC and close all unnecessary processes, from my own experience you’ll get a better result[/li][li]When the dumping process is done mount your image using DTools[/li][li]Now comes the ‘tricky’ part, for your SecuROM protected DVDs use Y.A.S.U or ProtSt0p to hide your drives (read the readme files of each tool before using it!) before you start the game[/li][li]For your SafeDisc protected DVDs (this also works for SecuROM protected games without the tools I mentioned before!) these tools didn’t work so you have to disable your IDE channel connected to your optical drives (CDRW, DVDRW, CDROM, DVDROM) in your device manager and then start the game Update: Y.A.S.U works with latest SafeDisc titles up to version 4.7[/li][/ul]

Second Method:

[ul]
[li]For DVDs[/li]
[li]I used philamber’s guide, except I didn’t tick Skip reading errors and i just tried it with Madden NFL 07 (SafeDisc 4.7) as Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent (SecuROM 7.27) needs a Double Layer DVD which I don’t have.[/li][/ul]
Important:

[ul]
[li]The only burning application on my system was Alcohol 120%, emulation software DTools and anti-blacklisting tools were Y.A.S.U, Pr0t.St0p nothing else was installed when I wrote this guide. No CloneCD, BlindWrite, Nero, Fantom CD,… so there won’t be any conflicts. When you did the same steps as I did and it’s not working check for any other emulation, burning and anti-blacklist application on your system and remove it.[/li][li]I didn’t use Alcohol’s virtual drives. By default one virtual drive is created during installation I recommend setting the Alcohol vdrives to zero for this guide Virtual Drive->Number of Virtual Drives: 0. Although DTools and Alcohol use the same vdrive technology. I used DTools by habit using Alcohol’s vdrive will probably end in the same result.[/li][li] Some drives won’t extract the DPM info and you’ll get the error message “Cannot get the right DPM info from the disc with current device” in this case try a different DPM speed. There’s no general rule in this case so you’ve to experiment a bit with different speed settings. You can also check if your drive is supported by Alcohol on their Supported Drives list.[/li][/ul]