Backup DVD and recommended PC

vbimport

Hi all, I’m new in here … sorry if there was similiar questions with mine, and please understand if my english isn’t too well, not my native :slight_smile:

First I’m asking about copy/backup DVD.
I used to backup my data/software/movies with DVD, and sometimes giving them to families. I’m using Nero 7 Essentials with LG DVD-RW (only 1 DVD drive, no other DVD-ROM). And usually Verbatim DVD-R 8x/16x for the media.
One thing I’m so curious is about backup DVD. Usually when I backup some files from my hard drive to a blank DVD, there’s a verification box which I checked before starting the burning process. And if I’m not running out of time, I always using 4x speed to burning.
But then when I backup that DVD to another blank DVD, there’s no options to verifying the burned DVD, the verify box couldn’t be check/uncheck.
So is that normal? Do I have to using other software to verify or test that burned DVD?

Second is about recommended PC.
My PC is kinda old, P-3 800. I’m thinking about buying a new one next month or so. And I’m asking about suggestion …

1. Is that affecting the speed of burning process with better/faster PC?
  2. Is that OK to do other things while using burning software? For example browsing the internet and using software like Word/Excel along together with Nero.

That’s my questions, hopefully somebody could help me.

Thanks anyway,
Chin

Welcome to the forums Chin.

I’m afraid I don’t have an answer for your verification question, since I don’t have Nero 7 Essentials. It is possible to check your burns, but LG drives don’t support scanning programs for quality checks.

You should be alright using Verbatim…it is a very good choice for blank disks, but you should probably try to burn the 16x disks at 8x rather than 4x.

As for the PC, you will see some improvements on performance by using a faster hard drive. Your older computer probably did not have anything faster than 5400rpm drives, and the newer 7200rpm drives will help on data transfer.

A faster cpu, especially a dual core cpu, will allow you to multitask better, and some people around here don’t mind running another program as they burn their disks. I personally don’t do anything more intensive than browsing the net while burning.

first, thanks for your reply

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2089919]Welcome to the forums Chin.

I’m afraid I don’t have an answer for your verification question, since I don’t have Nero 7 Essentials. It is possible to check your burns, but LG drives don’t support scanning programs for quality checks.[/QUOTE]

could you suggest other softwares to copy/backup files to DVD? I just using the software to making backup of my files, not for converting multimedia files or something like that.

You should be alright using Verbatim…it is a very good choice for blank disks, but you should probably try to burn the 16x disks at 8x rather than 4x.

Pardon me, but I thought slower is better?

As for the PC, you will see some improvements on performance by using a faster hard drive. Your older computer probably did not have anything faster than 5400rpm drives, and the newer 7200rpm drives will help on data transfer.

Thanks, never heard this suggestion before, I’ll remembering when buying new hard drive.

A faster cpu, especially a dual core cpu, will allow you to multitask better, and some people around here don’t mind running another program as they burn their disks. I personally don’t do anything more intensive than browsing the net while burning.

Got it … I’ll close the office-like softwares then when burning :slight_smile:

Slower is NOT always better with modern dvd burners and 16x media. Read through this thread in the Blank Media forum: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/slow-write-speeds-modern-drives-modern-media-no-good-247643/
It was written by one of our resident media experts.

If you want another choice for burning cds and dvds, I’d recommend ImgBurn. It is a free program and can be found here: www.imgburn.com
You should look through some of the guides to using it as it is quite different from Nero: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2089930]Slower is NOT always better with modern dvd burners and 16x media. Read through this thread in the Blank Media forum: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/slow-write-speeds-modern-drives-modern-media-no-good-247643/
It was written by one of our resident media experts.

If you want another choice for burning cds and dvds, I’d recommend ImgBurn. It is a free program and can be found here: www.imgburn.com
You should look through some of the guides to using it as it is quite different from Nero: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4[/QUOTE]

thanks a lot … I’ll looking at those links :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=chinfabregas;2089925]first, thanks for your reply

could you suggest other softwares to copy/backup files to DVD? I just using the software to making backup of my files, not for converting multimedia files or something like that.

Pardon me, but I thought slower is better?

Thanks, never heard this suggestion before, I’ll remembering when buying new hard drive.

Got it … I’ll close the office-like softwares then when burning :)[/QUOTE]

How about DvdFab Plat or Anydvd inconjunction with CloneCD or CloneDVD. I usually burn at slower speed you never know different drive act differently to the same media. Yes you get better performance from a 7200 compared to 5400 but if your drive still works and suites your need all you should worry about is if it is big enough for your storage needs? Your computer is a bit slow but if your burning and the results are good and working then I think you shouldn’t have much to worry over. Now I always recommend when burning never browse or multitask. This burning process takes alot of Memory and CPU and HDD resources that is one way to get bad burns that plays and skipps or just makes coasters. Why I recommend is if your DVD you own is protected Nero and Imgburn won’t allow you to backup the DVD. Plus nowdays a complete computer package is inexpensive so I live that choice to buy a new computer up to you.

i think deep burner is good for data cd/dvd burning. free too.

DeepBurner Free 1.9 Mar. 21, 08 2.67 MB
http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

thanks for all the suggestion :slight_smile:

I only tried ImgBurn so far … and yes it’s good :slight_smile:

but I’ll try other softwares from the suggestions as well

thanks.