Backup copies of damaged disks

Hi there.

Apologies for the long post but here goes.:doh:

I am currently making backup copies of my full DVD collection due to my relocation to another country for 18 months. I only started this exercise 3 weeks ago and have been using DVD Fab 4.0.1.2 in 1:1 clone mode for doing this. I use clone as I do not have space issues and like the “idea” of having the “original”. So far I had successfully copied 53/53 but I have encountered issues with 3 of the last 5 that I have attempted.

The first issue I encountered was with A Christmas Carol where the message stated DVD Fab encountered read error etc etc and asked to restart with pathplayer enabled. I selected yes and it prompted that it would take several minutes to open disc. I gave it 40 mins and it still hadn’t opened so I cancelled. I then tried Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Riit4me and AnyDVD and they all encountered errors 14% into the process (same stage as FAB). After some research damaged discs were mentioned as a possibility (doom9 forum from other posts) and upon inspection of the disc it was very badly scratched. So I moved on.

However the very next dvd I backed up was The Grinch and that too presented the same problems errors etc but this time there was no obvious visual damage to the surface. I tried ISOpuzzle and left it run overnight but it is extremely slow so I cancelled that.

Then I successfuly copied another 2 before I encountered the same issues again with Joe Somebody. Again no apparent damage so I played this in my DVD player real time to see if there may be any reason for the read errors. 19 minutes into the film there is a 2 second “pause”/“jump” in the movie and that’s it. I enabled Pathplayer on this one also and left it run for 3 hours and it still hadn’t opened the disc.

So my questions/comments are this.

[ol]
[li]Is DVD Fab that sensitive that it will have difficulty copying a disc that has minor damage.[/li][li]Is there a workaround to this or other settings.[/li][li]It’s also very weird that in all 3 cases the issues arose 14% into the process. I would imagine that if it was all damaged disc related the timing would be random?[/li][li]The discs that I have backed up so far have all been cloned 1:1 to an ISO and I have assumed that in the absence of error messages this means that the copy was successful and that when I eventually burn to disc no issues will arise?[/li][*]I am assuming my problems are not protection related as these are “old” movies. All dvds are R2.[/ol]Thanks in advance to all that can comment.

It’s also very weird that in all 3 cases the issues arose 14% into the process. I would imagine that if it was all damaged disc related the timing would be random?

please download 4020 beta. it is stable. read errors occur with the dvd reader not the software. do you have another drive to use. all a program can do is ignore minor read errors.

troy

Thanks Troy.

I will try beta version later today and will also try on my other 2 drives. Will revert later today.

Got nothing to do whether the program is “that” sensitive. Your drive can’t read the disk (it’s damaged after all) and the program is simply reporting the error.

Clean the disks and try again. Also try a prog called ISOPuzzle, which builds an ISO of the disk (after which you can mount it with Daemon Tools and decrypt it).

Regards

I had already tried ISOpuzzle but it was only 7% complete after 16 hours so I thought that it was going to be a waste of time soI cancelled it as the movie wasn’t that important. But for future reference is this a typical characteristic of this program in terms of duration?

Thanks for all your feedback and happy new year.

Depends how badly scratched the DVD is. If it’s clean, it will fly, if there are lots of bad sectors, it will crawl and there’ll be lotsa red spots and you may as well chuck the source material out.

Regards

If a disc is too severely damaged, no program or drive will be able to salvage it. However, I’ve had some success using IsoPuzzle. In my case, the original DVDs were out of balance, so in addition to IsoPuzzle, I used Nero DriveSpeed to limit the drive’s read speed (I set it at 1x). As has already been mentioned, try using different drives. Try IsoPuzzle on every available drive and notice how successfully it is reading the disc. If it is getting a lot of sectors on each pass, let it run awhile before giving up. If it only occasionally gets a sector, abort and try another drive. In this way you should be able to find which drive(s) get good results. Now, restart IsoPuzzle using the “best” drive and give it some time. It can indeed take some time, but should eventually get every sector that is at all readable on the drive. If at that point you still have unread sectors remaining, keep the ISO and FLG files that IsoPuzzle has built, and run IsoPuzzle again, but with the disc in a different drive. While one drive may generally perform best, a different drive may get better results in specific areas of specific problem discs. IsoPuzzle will keep all the sectors that were succussfully read, and add any sectors it is able to recover using the new drive. Continue this process until all sectors are read, you have tried all your drives, or you have spent a much time on this as you are willing to.

I have run IsoPuzzle more than 24 hrs at a time, as long as it is still getting some sectors (the log will show this). If it gets to the point where it has made several passes with no sectors read, there is no more it can do with that drive.

You might also try Nero DriveSpeed to force the drive to run at a slower RPM, even if you don’t have a vibration problem. The drive may get better results at a lower speed.

[quote=Emoyeni;1961665]I had already tried ISOpuzzle but it was only 7% complete after 16 hours so I thought that it was going to be a waste of time soI cancelled it as the movie wasn’t that important. But for future reference is this a typical characteristic of this program in terms of duration?

Thanks for all your feedback and happy new year.[/quote] Try this, you never know, I have never tried it so if it doesnt work just chuck the DVD or CD.