Backup Blu-ray Movies: Blu-ray to Blu-ray

vbimport

Finally bought a blu-ray burner, the LG BH08LS20 :smiley:

Now I would like to backup the several blu-ray movies I already own - I’ve bought some recordable blank blu-rayd discs for this purpose.
Now however, for my final investment in preserving my blu-ray movie collection, the software.

I’ve read a great guideby Zevia, but unfortunately I’m not really that good with computers, so I need something more easy to understand :o

Is there some free software I should look for, or should I make use of commercial packages? I only know of Nero, but my current version does not support blu-ray copying. :frowning:

To back up commercially made Blu ray movies, you will need to decrypt them first. At the present time, there is only one program available that is effective against the BD+ protection that is added to some Blu ray movies. That program is AnyDVD HD. It is not free, but there is a free trial to let you try out the program.

The rest of the process can be done with free tools. If your blu ray movie will fit directly onto your blank disk, all you have to do is copy the movie to the hard drive using the built-in ripper within AnyDVD HD. Rip it as an image file, then burn the image to a blank disk with ImgBurn, using the UDF 2.5 file system. ImgBurn is free to download and use.

If you only want the main movie, rip as files to the hard drive, then you can select the appropriate m2ts file within the Stream folder with tsMuxeR and have it output as a blu ray disk. Again, you will need a disk with large enough capacity to match the size of the video.

Most people will want to use 25gb disks to backup blu ray. These are much less expensive than the 50gb disks. On many, if not most blu ray movies, this means compressing the movie to a smaller size. For this you’ll need BD Rebuilder. This program is still in beta, and still free, but I suspect it will become a commercial program eventually. BD Rebuilder can compress the entire movie, or you can do main movie only backups, whichever you prefer.

Working with high def video requires a fast computer, and a great deal of hard drive space. Expect overnight encoding times, even with a quad core machine.

I’m haing some difficulties myself. After using ImgBurn to obtain the file, I try to write, but nothing happens and it sits/hangs at the “reserving disc space” screen forever. Am I doing something wrong?

They always hang at the “reserving disc space” part.

Does the “reserving disc space” refer to the HD or the Blu-ray?

[QUOTE=Qbert78;2429330]I’m haing some difficulties myself. After using ImgBurn to obtain the file, I try to write, but nothing happens and it sits/hangs at the “reserving disc space” screen forever. Am I doing something wrong?

They always hang at the “reserving disc space” part.

Does the “reserving disc space” refer to the HD or the Blu-ray?[/QUOTE]Welcome to the forum, Qbert78.
Can you please specify what kind of Blu-ray burner and BD media you are using? It will also help if you list your PC specs in case there are issues with your system.

Dezign

1. If you want to Rip and Burn Blu-ray discs you need the following:

I Highly recommend the [B]Pioneer 8X BDR-203BKS[/B] or just 203B SATA Blu-ray Burner (the one I am using)

You can find it at:

1. [B]This Blu-ray Burner[/B] comes with a [B]CyberLink BD Solutions Software[/B] that contains the program you need to Burn a ripped Blu-ray movie to a blank Blu-ray disc. First you Launch the [B]Blu-ray Disc Suite[/B] then Click on the [B]Utilities Icon [/B]then click [B]Burn A Disc Image[/B] then select the [B].iso[/B] file that contains the ripped Blu-ray material and go from there.

2. You will also need a program to Rip the BD Disc to an [B].iso [/B]file: The only program that I have found that does this effectively is [B]AnyDVD HD[/B] by Slysoft:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

It cost about: $79.00 for a two (2) year Subscription. PS: Don’t bother with CloneDVD 2 as it does not write to Blu-ray discs and be advised that DVDFab 6 is unable to rip or burn Blu-ray Discs that are encrypted with BD+. Most of the Blu-ray discs that I have encountered are encrypted with BD+ so AnyDVD HD is a MUST have option!

1. The last thing you need are blank Blu-ray 25GB and 50GB (read single and dual layer Blu-ray Disc’s (BD.

I am using 1-4x [B]BD-R DL 50GB TDK[/B] white inkjet printable and 1-4x [B]BD-R 25GB TDK[/B] white inkjet printable discs and am very please with their performance. So far I have ripped and burned over 100 Blu-ray discs without creating a single coaster.

25GB: http://www.hovanfue.com/store/produc...Printable.html

50GB: http://www.hovanfue.com/store/produc...Printable.html

Eric

Thanks for your replies all of you!

Eric, thanks for your advice but I just bought my LG - is this one up to the task too?

So only AnyDVD is able to effectively create an .iso image :confused: that I need to make a backup? So buying AnyDVD is really needed then, hmm OK I’ll look into that. I guess it pays itself back when I’ve made all those copies!

Since I haven’t bought that blu-ray drive you adviced, I don’t have the Cyberlink BD Solutions Software. Can’t I use any other burning program? Again, I only know of nero :o:o

OK I’ll check out that AnyDVD - really the only software out there that makes blu-ray backups possible? Amazing, how about competition and free market system;)

i usually back up blu ray movies on computer, sometimes,i will rip them to different parts, sometimes, i just play them on computer.Play blue ray on Windows or PC with Blu ray player. Rip dvd/rip blu ray/make mkv with blu ray ripper. I have learnt lots of good things from you guys.