Backup 3D blu rays

vbimport

i have attempted to back up Saw 7 3D using AnyDVD and BD Rebuilder. it backs it up but during the process it deletes the files in the SSIF folder which is the 3D streams.

backing it up as a 1:1 copy works fine, but the resulting file is over 39.8GB. i have compressed it to fit on a 25GB blank blu ray (have not burned to a disc yet), and this is where the problem occurs. it copies everything except the ssif files inside the SSIF folder.

is there any software that can make a 1:1 copy that will copy the entire disc including the 3D streams and output it to be able to fit on a 25GB blank blu ray disc, and allow to set a custom size for the output (around 23500MB or so)?

Check DVDFab Blu-ray 3D Ripper, http://www.dvdfab.com/. You might want to check the DVDFab forum here at Myce under “Movie Copy Software” to see what others have to say about it.

thanks, having a go of backing up now. will post feedback when it’s done.

it completed the backup, but once again the 3D portion is missing.

i used the ‘Full Disc’ method and it took about 2 hours. at first i was amazed at how fast it was able to process the disc (read ISO rip). but then when i looked at the folder where it output it, the SSIF folder wasn’t there. this is what contains the 3D data.

i noticed the ‘Blu-ray 3D Ripper’ section, but that only outputs to files, not to a disc image (ISO) which is what i want. an exact duplicate of my original disc which i can then burn to a blank blu ray.

If you are compressing to fit a 25gb disk, you are [B]NOT[/B] making a 1:1 copy anyway.

Output to files using the 3D ripper section and burn to a disk using ImgBurn. Or make an ISO with ImgBurn from the files and then burn…it hardly matters in this case.

I’d use a BD-RE disk while experimenting.

i am making a 1:1 just compressing it to fit. u can’t tell the difference in quality from the original. i have backed up my copy of T2 Skynet Edition and Inception. those are standard blu rays which are 2D. i haven’t found a program that can do 3D blu ray backups yet. i had hoped that the latest DVDFab could but as it turns out it can’t. all it can do is rip them to files which is not what i want.

ripping it as a file is useless to me. i want to retain menus and menu functionality.

I don’t use Fab, but ripping as files, or outputting as files does not necessarily remove menus. Only if you do a main movie backup.
With the tools I use, including BD Rebuilder, you can output as files and retain menus.

Anytime you compress the movie, you cannot describe the output as 1:1…you’ve changed the encoding of the video completely.

i understand that, but it is a copy none the less and for all intents and purposes it is a copy even if the video encoding is changed.

i have used BD Rebuilder, but as i said before it removes the 3D portion (SSIF folder and files inside it), which are the 3D streams. for a normal 2D movie it doesn’t matter as there isn’t an SSIF folder and files. but for 3D movies these files [B]must[/B] exist or it will be a 2D rip.

edit: one more thing. using the blu ray 3D ripper in DVDFab doesn’t allow me to specify the target BD size. i have set the size in options though…

i left it overnight using the ‘Blu-ray 3D Ripper’ option ‘to M2TS’ and it produced a side by side video with the following files in the folder:

SAW 7 3D.idx
SAW 7 3D.m2ts
SAW 7 3D.sub
SAW 7 3D.Title3.idx
SAW 7 3D.Title3.m2ts
SAW 7 3D.Title3.sub
SAW 7 3D.Title9.m2ts

it totals 5.35GB.

here is a cap of what it looks like:

i knew it was going to do this but i did it anyway to prove my point. no menus, no extras, just the movie side by side. [B]not[/B] what i wanted at all. and not in 3D either.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2587074]
[B]With the tools I use, including BD Rebuilder[/B], you can output as files and retain menus.[/QUOTE]

besides BD Rebuilder what tools do u use?

I don’t mess with 3D, so my experience probably won’t help you.
The tools I use for working with blu ray are:

AnyDVD HD for decryption/ripping the entire movie to the hard drive (includes menu structure in either files or in the ISO output)

VirtualClone Drive for mounting ISO files

BD Rebuilder for compressing to fit 25gb output (and occasionally an mkv or dvd-video of the main movie only)

ClownBD for selecting sections I want to keep, or combining split m2ts files for the main movie (ClownBD is a gui for tsMuxeR and eac3to)

BDInfo, mostly to identify the playlist file that contains the main movie

And there are many other tools that I have tried on occasion, but I work with main movie backups. I’m quite happy to get rid of the blasted menus.

If you are looking for an alternative to BD Rebuilder, I don’t know of another program that will compress blu ray and retain the original menus, other than DVDFab. Slysoft has been working on a program like this, called CloneBD, but I haven’t seen any postings with a predicted release date.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2587139]I don’t mess with 3D, so my experience probably won’t help you.
The tools I use for working with blu ray are:

[B]AnyDVD HD for decryption/ripping the entire movie to the hard drive (includes menu structure in either files or in the ISO output)[/B]

[B]BD Rebuilder for compressing to fit 25gb output[/B] (and occasionally an mkv or dvd-video of the main movie only)

…[U]there are many other tools that I have tried on occasion[/U]…

If you are looking for an alternative to BD Rebuilder, I don’t know of another program that will compress blu ray and retain the original menus, other than DVDFab. [B]Slysoft has been working on a program like this, called CloneBD[/B], but I haven’t seen any postings with a predicted release date.[/QUOTE]

up until now i have been using the same programs. but i use Alcohol 120% to mount the ISO images.

i appreciate the info you have provided me. i will look into CloneBD or a clone that has similar functionality.

which other tools have you used if you don’t mind me asking?

Other tools I have tried include:
tsMuxeR (outside of ClownBD) which can produce blu ray structure.

MultiAVCHD, which I am not too fond of as it can be unstable and the gui is not easy to use, but can make new menus for blu ray.

AVStoDVD (to convert m2ts files to dvd-video) Unpredictable audio/video sync is sometimes a problem here, especially with DTS HD MA audio sources.

Ripbot264, which uses AviSynth and Haali versions not compatible with BD Rebuilder, so I don’t use it anymore.

Handbrake, for conversion to mkv or mp4 files. If I had to make an mp4 file from a blu ray m2ts source this is what I would use

MakeMKV, which can decrypt and rip the entire blu ray disk without format conversion or make an mkv file from the main movie. MakeMKV is free while in beta.

BDSup2Sub, for conversion of blu ray format subtitles

Mkvtoolnix…something of a Swiss army knife for working with mkv files. You’ll need mkvextractgui2 to go along with it.