Backpack LiteOn too slow

vbimport

Hi, has anyone any experience with the Micro Solutions Backpack CDWRITER?
It’s a LiteOn 40125S.

I got one a couple weeks ago and it installed nicely, but it’s reading speed is terrible. Using Nero Tools it’s 6x, even playback has lots of sticking.
I haven’t even wasted time trying to burn a CD.
IT’S USING THE PARALLEL PORT.

Any ideas to get this thing working the way it ought, I don’t think the printer port is that slow, is it?
I already tried flashing to a newer firmware and also overclocked.

A DB25 serial port only has a maximum rated speed of 4Mb/sec which is really slow.

I am just doing the calculations in my head here so bare with me:

DB25 serial - 4 Megabit/sec (Mb/sec) = 500 KiloBytes/sec (KB/sec)
1x CD speed = 150 KiloBytes/sec (KB/sec)
2x CD speed = 300 KiloBytes/sec (KB/sec)
4x CD speed = 600 KiloBytes/sec (KB/sec)

So from that I gather only 4x or less reading would be possible…

For another example:
USB 1.1 - 12 Megabit/sec (Mb/sec) = 1500 KiloBytes/sec (KB/sec
2x CD speed = 300 KiloBytes/sec (KB/sec)
4x CD speed = 600 KiloBytes/sec (KB/sec)
8x CD speed = 1200 KiloBytes/sec (KB/sec)
12x CD speed = 1600 KiloBytes/sec (KB/sec)

So if my logic is right that looks like 12x would be max.

USB 2.0 is really fast and can do 52x no problem, same with firewire.

I could be off base though… this just comes from the cobwebs in my head :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like I was right.

It’s amazing the time I could have saved by just using google to start with. Just goes to show you, using your brain isn’t needed anymore! :stuck_out_tongue:

All joking aside…

Info from here.

Fast, but not that fast
In CNET Labs’ tests, the Backpack both missed and exceeded expectations. Micro Solutions’ 24X CD-ROM read rating of the Backpack is misleading. The drive inside the enclosure is rated for 24X reading, but 6X is about the best you’ll see from any drive using a USB 1.0 connection, including the Backpack. The faster mechanism, however, had some effect; the Backpack read our 400MB test folder back from CD-RW disc in only 9 minutes, 22 seconds. That’s the fastest time we’ve seen in a USB drive, but it’s still less than 5X. The Backpack performed flawlessly while attached via the parallel port of our 700MHz test bed, passing all the tests in fine 4X fashion, even setting a record by writing our 500MB folder to disk in 16 minutes, 31 seconds.

Slooooow, but thems the breaks with old Parrallel as well as USB 1.1 technology.

thanks alot mate, I think:confused:

I am just surprised that they would make stuff to slow it down.
I got it free so I can’t complain. I just thought it would be cool to have the cdrw to match the dvd and the dvdrw.

Oh well…my next question is, can this burner be removed from the enclosure and use ide?:bow:

yep should be able.

then its time for surgery:bigsmile:

Originally posted by sidebar
[B]thanks alot mate, I think:confused:

I am just surprised that they would make stuff to slow it down.
I got it free so I can’t complain. I just thought it would be cool to have the cdrw to match the dvd and the dvdrw.

Oh well…my next question is, can this burner be removed from the enclosure and use ide?:bow: [/B]

Well USB 2.0 hadn’t really ‘caught on’ until about a year ago, and firewire still hasn’t grabbed much of a market hold.
The only option to any external drive manufacturers before then was to use existing connections available, which were primarily Parallel (DB25) and USB 1.1. They added the parallel to increase the number of users that could use the drive. Of course if you have USB use that instead.

But yes, you should be able to remove the drive and hopefully put it in your PC or in another external enclosure with USB 2.0 or firewire connection (depending on what connection your PC has). If your PC has neither of these connections, internal mounting is your best bet. Just be cautious when taking it apart so you can put it back together if you need to.

If for whatever reason you would like to keep using an external enclosure and don’t have a USB 2.0 port you can buy a USB 2.0 expansion card (PCI) which is relatively cheap. If it’s a laptop they also sell USB 2.0 PCMCIA cards as well.

Thanks for the studious reply S3eth.

Originally posted by sidebar
Thanks for the studious reply S3eth.

No problem, glad we could help :iagree:

Man, I couldn’t see the forest for the trees!!! I have a backpack dvd+r external usb burner, with a NEC drive in it. I did everything I could think of, updated to latest firmware, etc… still slow burns. I figured "its a late model computer (maybe a year and a half old) it should have usb2, that cant be it. But low and behold, on the IBM website, I found the specs for it, and it is 1.2. Go figure.

Off to staples to get me a Belkin USB2 card :slight_smile:

Thanks for the post, helped me clarify what the problem was.

-Blu