Backpack DVD±RW w/ NEC 1300A DVD±RW issues

I recieve all these errors in different programs when trying to burn a DVD

SpeedyCd: Error Creating Disc - Drive reported complex error, refer to error log for details.
Sense Key : ILLEGAL REQUEST
CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT
70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 30 05

MyDVD: Could not complete the last command because: Error code: -1(Couldn’t vobulate stream cell.)OSErr, -1)

Nero 6.6: [21:39:23] DVDEngine ERROR
[21:39:23] DVDEngine cause: 129 (neroapi_call_failed)
[21:39:23] DVDEngine source: NeroBAOOpenFile() returned error condition
[21:39:23] DVDEngine description: _BAOContext::OpenFile()

As I have a said, I have a External Backpack DVD±RW with a NEC 1300A DVD rewriter. I am running Windows XP Service Pack 2 with 2.8 GHz and 512 mb RAM. I am running firmware 1.06 on the NEC 1300A, I didn’t want to update in case that would F-it up. I have read several places that since its connected by a USB 2.0 port it will ruin the drive. If that is NOT true, maybe I do need to update firmware.

The DVD’s I’m using are Sony DVD-R 4.7GB

It lets me read DVDs, play DVDs, Play Audio Cds, burn CDs, but not DVDs. This is a brand new item, not even a week old yet. Microsolutions have gone out of business, funny how that works, and their tech support is terrible.

Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance.

X1l1 try using Herrie’s NEC 1x00 1.0C Test Version 2, there may be a possibility that your drive might be an ND-1100A flashed to a ND-1300A. The firmware that Herrie released supports writing of some DVD-R media on the ND-1100A, I tried RITEK G05 and SONY08D1. Both burned well, try it and see if that helps. :wink:

Well, my problem seems to be that I have read that since it is connected by USB 2.0 that it will screw up my drive. I paid some good money for it so I don’t want to risk that.

Is there any way you can take your drive out of the casing and connect it via IDE?

Yes, I could take it out but how in the world do you connect it like that? I have a DVD reader and CD±RW in both my IDE slots I believe. Any easy way to do that?

If your IDE cable is long enough and can reach outside your PC case just unhook the IDE from one of your drives and then connect it to your NEC, if it reaches then just put the drive next to the case on anything you can. Try it and see if that works :).

Does it need to restart after that happens? Any other things I should know before I blow myself up lol

Ok turn off your PC, then take your case apart, after that disconnect one of the IDE cables including the power cable from one of the drives. Connect your NEC… preferably as “Master” first drive. Then turn on your PC, it should detect the drive in Windows XP, after that use BinFlash 1.17 and “Dump” your firmware. After that just flash your drive with one of the Herrie firmwares located here. After flashing restart your PC then test the disc again :).

Hmm kind of stuck at the issue of getting the drive out of the external. I don’t have right size screw driver. This is going to be a trip lol. Thanks for the help. When I finally get this out I will try that.

Cool, when you get the screw driver just let me know if it worked, and if you need any help just post up and I’ll reply. Your welcome. :wink:

Okay, I got the screws off and it just exposed the front of it. It’s stuck in the External Backpack and I think force isn’t the best idea here lol. So I will give it a shot on the update thing. Could you tell me, is the “Dump” per say, the current firmware I have so incase I need to back it up that I would do that? I’m not really sure how to do this :disagree:

Yes the “Dump” feature saves the firmware currently on your drive, and you can also flash it back just in case. Open up Binflash GUI, then click on the second button “Dump” then select a place to save your firmware.

Oh you are ingenius! I updated the firmware and have been burning DVDs ever since. :bow: haha, thanks a lot man.

X1l1, nice to hear that your drive is working properly now. :slight_smile:
All it needed was a little tweaking and now it’s working to your satisfaction.

You are very welcome, and it was no prob just glad I could help out :wink:

hi, I have been using this exact same burner (BackPack DVD±RW, model 224010) for nearly 2yrs, i’ve backed up 200 or so movies and now all of a sudden i get the same ‘complex error’ bla bla bla…and it :Z out my disc…I have tried pluggin’ it into my laptop, and my wifes puter, (all on my network), and I get the same error. Last week, the backpack was fine…I can’t find any firmware or updates for it, other than one from 2004. What has happened? :doh: The other DVD burners on my network work fine. Any suggestions or direction would be great. thanks :slight_smile: