Backing up music files

My music library has hundreds of gigs of APE files in it, and I have them on an internal 500GB western digital hard drive. I Play from it every day, and I now want an external hard drive to store the data in case the internal one crashes.

What brand is particularly reliable for very long term storage? Maxtor is the cheapest right not, but is there a brand that is better and more reliable?

I like Seagate, mine have always been reliable. They offer a 5 year warranty too.

I currently have a WD MyBook 1TB external, very nice so far but I haven’t had it long enough to say about reliability.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9126280

What about this?

Yeah, I read another thread about that (forgot about it). Maybe buying a WD was my best option after all :wink:

I have to say, Seagate’s internal (250GB and lower) drives have been OK for me, though.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2207102]Yeah, I read another thread about that (forgot about it). Maybe buying a WD was my best option after all :wink:

I have to say, Seagate’s internal (250GB and lower) drives have been OK for me, though.[/QUOTE]

I found that WD drives are always more expensive than Seagate’s for the same capacity and speed, maybe that’s what makes the difference?

Also, is a 2.5" drive better than a 3.5" drive because there is less moving parts?

Hmmm, I’ve found the opposite (here in the UK at least) - the Seagates always cost that little bit more.

As for smaller size = less moving parts…I couldn’t say. Perhaps someone who’s owned both sizes can chime in.