Backing up Large AVI files to DVD

I have been capturing home videos and have several large AVI files 15Gb or Larger. I want to back up the Raw video because the old VHSC tapes are fading. What is the best way to back these files up to DVDs. I just tried Nero 6 and it backed up one 15Gb file to 4 DVDs. The restore did not work for some reason.

Is there a better way to do this? I do not want to compress the video or change it to MPEG. I just want to backup the AVI files.

Should I consider a tape backup or stick with using several DVDs for each AVI file? Is there a good software that can split the AVI files to 2 GB files to store on a DVD. Then I can res-assemble the larger file.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If you want only to split the file to burn it on DVD media without any modification, this can be done with one of the many file splitters available, many also free.

If you plan to watch these movies in a standalone DVD player, then you must convert the file in vob (that basically is a mpeg file).

Avi is not a specific type of file, but a so called “container”. In other words, an avi file can be mpeg, divx, xvid, or other file formats.

Maybe your file is already a mpeg file.

Can you please clarify what of these two options do you want to do?

Hello and thanks,

I have already authored these videos to DVDs for the family to watch. However with the MPEG encoding I noticed loss of video quality. I just want to archive the AVI file so it can be used at a later time when we have new media and encoding schemes.

These AVI files are captured from my recorder in DV1 format. So each video is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours long and 15 to 20GB in size on my hard disk. What are som eoptions for archiving these large AVI files without any conversion or video loss?

I am saving the original tapes but they are starting to fade with time. They are 10 years old now.

Regards,

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

To create a backup copy of the unmodified file you can use WinRAR, creating a multivolume archive without compression, the “store” option, like in pic (in this way it’s much faster when you restore the original file from archive).

In this way you’ll have a set of discs containing the original file, and if you want to obtain the original file it’s necessary simply to unrar the archive on your HDD.

Bearing in mind that you’ve only got VHS quality then using either Divx or Xvid as the video codec would give you equivalent quality in probably about 1/10th of the size.

Winrar can split & compress the files for you into whatever segment size you define. Very slow though I would think.

If I use something like WinRAR or WinZip, what is the largest file that can be copied to a DVD. I thought the limit is about 2GB. What happenes if one volume of the set is corrupt or missing? Can I still recover the rest of the file?

I may be better off splitting the original file into smaller 2GB (.AVI) files and then copying them to DVDs with Nero. What software can I use to split the original files to DVD size smaller AVI files, that can be rejoined later?

Side point, My older tapes are VHSC and the newer ones are digital. I have not found an encoder that does not add distortion when viewing objects in motion. Even the older VHSC tapes, with the lower quality, show these artifacts when converted to MPEG. Most of my conversion is done with Ulead Studio 9. I am hesitant to archive these files converted to MPEG. Maybe I have not found the right encoder yet. What is the best one around, with the lowest loss or artifacts?

Regards,

To be sure to not loose anything, you can create chunks of 500 MB each, and save more than one copy of each chunk in the same disc. Redundancy will reduce data loss.

What would you use to create the 500MB chunks?

Because in this way you can put more than each segment of the archive in the same disc; redundancy reduce data loss :slight_smile:

What software would you use to create the smaller files?

I was thinking of Winzip and then making some parity files with Quickpar!

This takes a long time though. Winzip takes a while and then Quickpar takes a while.

If you use the compression mode “store” as in the pic I posted above, RAR will need very few time to create the archive, because it make no compression at all.

Under that box there is another in which you can specify dimensions of each chunk