Backing up DVD games

vbimport

Hello, I’m new, which is why I am posting here.

I invested in a Philips Lightscribe external DVD burner a few weeks ago, the primary reason being that my disabled brother can’t help but get his DVDs badly scuffed when trying to get them in & out of their cases as he has very shaky hands. As a result after a few months the discs become unplayable and he has to buy them again. So I figured that backing up his discs when he buys them means he doesn’t have to keep buying the same releases over and over again.

Mostly, everything is fine. So far I have backed up about 20 video DVDs and a few DVD games using DVDFab Platinum. Obviously the DVD games cannot be shrunk, so I am using DL media to clone these, and the results until now have been fine. But the last 2 days, DVDFab reads the disc, asks for blank media, and when I insert it, I get an error mesage that reads:

[I]Failed to burn DVD
Do you want to try again?

[/I]I can try again as many times as I like, nothing else happnes apart from seeing the same message again. So if I click no, I get error message 112. I have read that the media is often the cause, and no doubt my DL media is on the cheap side, but I wonder why this is happening now, when everything was fine with the same media a few days ago. In fact, this problem started 2 days ago, yet yesterday, I did get one good burn (on a blank disc that previously threw up the 112 error).

Since then, single-layer clones are fine, shrink burns are fine, it’s just DL clones on a couple of DVD games. Could it be some sort of protection is making these discs harder to back-up?

In case it might be relevant, I installed Nero a couple of days ago. I see that in the DVDFab clone process, an iso and ini file are created. Can I use the Nero engine to try & burn or are these files still protected? If I can use Nero, can you give me an idiot’s guide to doing this? (I have burned ISOs in Nero before but am not sure if I need to do anything with the ini file).

My firmware is all up-to-date btw.

Many thanks.

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R DL
Book Type : DVD+R DL
Manufacturer: : Ricoh
MID : RICOHJPN D01 067 (43h)
Write speeds: : 4 X - 6 X - 8 X
Blank Capacity : 7.96 GB
: 8152 MB
: 8547993600 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 2
Layer break : 3.98 GB
Write strategies : n/a
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
Physical Format Information (00h)
0000 - E1 0F 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 FC FF FF 00 22 D7 FF - …2…"…
0010 - 00 00 03 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E 44 30 31 43 40 - …RICOHJPND01C@
0020 - 25 25 37 10 00 2C 6C 00 2C 6C 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 - %%7…,l.,l…
0030 - 02 01 01 20 00 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 02 01 01 20 00 - …

Since these initial posts, I have successfully made a back-up of a different DL DVD game.

Next, I tried another DVD game. The data was all read OK, and this time when I inserted a DL disc I got this error message:

Access violation at address 023BC2CF in module 'vso_hwe.dll. Read of address 02F900A4

While these discs may not be great, the fact that some discs are copying fine onto them suggests the source discs might have some sort of protection?

… and again, backing-up a different disc, with:

Read of address: 02FB028C

[QUOTE=Trinx;2048158]Since these initial posts, I have successfully made a back-up of a different DL DVD game.

Next, I tried another DVD game. The data was all read OK, and this time when I inserted a DL disc I got this error message:

Access violation at address 023BC2CF in module 'vso_hwe.dll. Read of address 02F900A4

While these discs may not be great, the fact that some discs are copying fine onto them [B]suggests the source discs might have some sort of protection?[/B][/QUOTE]

Without doubt.

Yes I am stating the obvious - they are copy protected of course just like all retail DVDs are.

Is this what’s causing the problem when trying to clone them? As I have previously explained I have a perfectly legitimate reason for wanting to make these back-ups.

You might try Alcohol 120%.
It’s free for a trial period, then you have to pay to keep it.
Use the trial period to see if it will do the trick for you.

It looks like I have a fix - use DVDFab to make iso, then use Nero to burn.

Thanks.