Backing up DVD-Audio

How do you backup DVD-Audio DVDs? Can I use DVD shrink or DVDFab Decoder? Thanks in advance, Alex.

dvd-audio’s use a robust protection…so in short…no!!!

Can you post a log from DVDDecrypter when accessing the disc?

AFAIK, most (if not all) DVD-A have a standard DVD-Video part, so Decrypter will show/process only the files contained in the VIDEO_TS folder…

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET

Yup, that’s why I asked. :wink:

I have no knowledge of backing up DVD-Audio. Can you let us know what happens if you read/write in ISO mode. Does the video part still work?

I made a working copy of the video part of my DVD-Audio (I only have this one! :bigsmile: ) in the usual way using Decrypter, without problems.

ET

I have used Shrink to backup DVD-Audio. Several times. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

By usual you mean file? When you use ISO does it just discard the audio information, or is it there on the copy but not working?

Yup, sorry, I meant in File mode. Using ISO read/write I get a full rip with no errors, but if I burn it, I obtain a DVD that is seen as DVD-Audio by the player, but then it doesn’t start (not even the video part).

ET

If you use DVD Shrink and Create both AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders it makes a true DVD-AUDIO Disk.

Really? :eek: You mean with both the hi-res audio and video part working?
I’m quite a noob of DVD Shrink, can you give me some hints on how to proceed? Do I have to re-author it? :confused:

Thanks,

ET

You dont have to do much. The ones I have done are not that large. Just Open disk, let shrink analyse it, then Backup. just make sure you Check create both folders. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks nmpaulcp. :slight_smile:

However, I think that there is some misunderstanding here…

The only DVD-Audio that I have, mentioned above, is Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions (barcode 02498 60829). It has the two folders AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS:

As you can see, the huge one is the AUDIO_TS folder (3.35 GB), while the VIDEO_TS has “only” 820 MB of data.

Starting DVD Shrink and selecting the Backup DVD function, this is what I get:

As you can see, even if the “Create VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS subfolders” option (please note: it says create and not rip!) is ticked, the space required is 820 MB, which is exactly the size of the VIDEO_TS folder (and even unticking it, the space required does not change).

And indeed, the VIDEO_TS folder is the only one ripped: the AUDIO_TS folder is created, but it is empty. :wink:

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but I have to ask you: are you sure that you are talking about DVD-Audio discs?

Please note that there are several DVD-Video titles that DO HAVE an AUDIO_TS folder, but it is empty!

A true DVD-Audio, like the one above, is a different beast: it must have the DVD-Audio logo on the cover and on the support itself,

and it must have a huge bunch of files (mainly AOB files, Audio OBjects), which fill up the majority of the disc space.

Am I right saying that you backed up some DVD-Videos with empty AUDIO_TS folder, and not true DVD-Audio titles?

And if I am wrong, can you please tell me a couple of titles (with catalogue number) of DVD-A that you backed up successfully?

Best regards, :slight_smile:

ET

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Sorry about my terrible information. It had been a while since I copied a DVD-Audio disk. I was mistaken in directing you to DVD Shrink. I guess I tried and thats what stuck in my head. Regardless, All you have to do is to extract the data using DVD Decrypter, ISO read. Then burn the ISO with DVD Decrypter or other ISO burning software. This one is “Diana Krall” The Look of Love. Verve B0001604-19

As I said before, I tried with my DVD-Audio using DVD-Decrypter in ISO mode, and it doesn’t work for me, I don’t get a playable DVD. I’m really surprised that it works for you in that way…

Thanks, however. :slight_smile: Oh, one last thing… can you tell me the model of your standalone DVD Player?

Regards,

ET

Yep, normally DVDD. will check the VIDEO_TS sttructure and it’s content and doesn’t care about what is in AUDIO_TS for obvious reasons. :wink:

one other thing I tried was to extract the video folder with DVD shrink. and then just copied the AUDIO_TS folder to my harddrive. There is no copy protection on the AUDIO_TS folder! I will post some more info later. gotta go to work. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Just curious what program you used to determine that there is protection on the audio folder. Will DVD Decryptor or DVD Shrink detect CPPM? If so, what version? thx

Pretty cool tool. Its free :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
http://www.musclesoft.de/combatman/start.php?page=software/dvtool.html&lang=e