Backing up DVD-Audio discs

I have 12 DVD-Audio DVDs, 9 of which are out of print and very expensive on the used market. I’d like to protect the precious originals by making backups, but from everything I’d researched, it was impossible using a single-product software program, until reading about DVDFab’s “Clone” mode that makes this possible. Is this true?

I’m out of dual layer blank DVDs, not having much use for them and because they’re still relatively expensive, so before I buy some to backup my DVD-Audios, does anyone have experience with this and DVDFab?

Thanks!

For reliable burns and good longevity, use Verbatim DL blanks. Clone mode should do what you want. The DVDFab authors have other DVD-Audio features on the drawing board (you can see evidence of this on the Full Disc copy mode page). See this page in the Tutorial also: http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/DVDToDVDFullDisc where it is described as a future option.

[QUOTE=signals;2300232]For reliable burns and good longevity, use Verbatim DL blanks. Clone mode should do what you want. The DVDFab authors have other DVD-Audio features on the drawing board (you can see evidence of this on the Full Disc copy mode page). See this page in the Tutorial also: http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/DVDToDVDFullDisc where it is described as a future option.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I always use Verbs for SL and DL blanks. I’m still not sure that DVDFab, even in the Clone mode, can overcome the watermarking recognition issues that many DVD players have. I’ll read up on what the DVDFab authors have on the drawing board and see what I can learn.

Thanks.

I’m afraid you won’t find much there. You may have to just try it.

[QUOTE=Bobverens;2300418]Yes, I always use Verbs for SL and DL blanks. I’m still not sure that DVDFab, even in the Clone mode, can overcome the watermarking recognition issues that many DVD players have. I’ll read up on what the DVDFab authors have on the drawing board and see what I can learn.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

this was discussed some time back & I researched it out of curiosity - there are some digital audio watermarking techniques that still resist all attempts to clone, so you may be out of luck… search this board (search on : dvd audio watermark )for old threads. e.g.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvd-dvd-audio-removing-copy-protection-252697/

It’s unlikely to be high on the DVDfab to-do list as the DVD-audio format is pretty much dead in the water ( due in part, in my view, to having too onerous DRM! )

[QUOTE=cybmole;2300442]this was discussed some time back & I researched it out of curiosity - there are some digital audio watermarking techniques that still resist all attempts to clone, so you may be out of luck… search this board (search on : dvd audio watermark )for old threads. e.g.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvd-dvd-audio-removing-copy-protection-252697/

It’s unlikely to be high on the DVDfab to-do list as the DVD-audio format is pretty much dead in the water ( due in part, in my view, to having too onerous DRM! )[/QUOTE]

I know abut dvd audio watermark and how it’s embedded in the actual music files. My own player doesn’t recognize watermarking and plays just fine so it was never an issue. I was just wondering if DVDFab’s Clone mode will make a “clone” backup that will be recognized by players that do.

you’ll probably get a playable copy but you need very sharp ears to detect whether the copy is being downsampled to “only” audio CD quality due to missing watermarks, or is at the original HD-DVDaudio spec.
Another reason for the death of this format is that 99 % of users don’t have audio gear designed for dvd-audio quality or can’t tell the difference between that & CD anyway!

If your own player does not eecognise watermarks then this may already be happening when you play your originals, in which case the clones will sound just as god.
see the link I posted earler for more on this.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2301218]you’ll probably get a playable copy but you need very sharp ears to detect whether the copy is being downsampled to “only” audio CD quality due to missing watermarks, or is at the original HD-DVDaudio spec.
Another reason for the death of this format is that 99 % of users don’t have audio gear designed for dvd-audio quality or can’t tell the difference between that & CD anyway!

If your own player does not eecognise watermarks then this may already be happening when you play your originals, in which case the clones will sound just as god.
see the link I posted earler for more on this.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for info and expertise. After reading your post, I went out and bought some DVD+DL and used DVDFab to backup my original of “Night at the Opera” and voila! it played on my Oppo 980 perfectly. I used the readback function and it displayed 24/96 on the audio. So all is good, my precious DVD-Audios are protected and DVDFab rocks!:bow: