Backing up Blu Ray

Can DVD Fab Platinum be used to back up Blu Ray films to DVD?

Download the trial and try it.:wink: You have to try the new V5.3.0.0 it has the Bluray trial built into the beta.

Please note: For new Blu-ray Option and MoveFab Option, you can try it for 30 days for free. To continue using them after the 30-day evaluation period, you need pay a registration fee.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=49X85&test=off&url=http%3A//www.dvdfab.com/download/DVDFab5300Beta_avangate-689.exe

Dvdfab was just updated to support Blu-ray upto the the current known protection, however it looks as if Fengtao is making Blu-ray an extra option requiring a registration fee to use it after a trial period.

Backup blu-ray to blu-ray, yes. Blu-ray to DVD, doubtful.

Why would anyone want to put a Bluray disc on a regular DVD? It would never fit.:wink:

That’s what makes it doubtful, but that’s what he asked.
And I have learned never to second-guess Fengtao. :slight_smile:

Children with sticky fingers, a multitude of dvd players in various rooms and the cost of blank Blu Ray media. Just as it is possible to compress a film on a double layer dvd onto a single layer dvd I wondered if it is possible to compress a Blu Ray onto a double layer dvd, or even single layer. Thus creating a backup good enough for the rest of the philistines in the household.

Yes It is possible, there is a program called BD Rebuilder currently in beta that does that. Its author is the same person that brought you Dvd Rebuilder and you can read about it here.
budzos

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=75

[QUOTE=alan1476;2226549]Why would anyone want to put a Bluray disc on a regular DVD? It would never fit.;)[/QUOTE]

It depends on the codec you use and it’s eminently possible with x264.

As budzos has said BD Rebuilder does this already.

According to Jdobbs BD-9s are almost indistinguishable from the original.

For BD-5s there is a noticeable decrease in quality but it’s still far superior to DVD.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2226910]It depends on the codec you use and it’s eminently possible with x264.

As budzos has said BD Rebuilder does this already.

According to Jdobbs BD-9s are almost indistinguishable from the original.

For BD-5s there is a noticeable decrease in quality but it’s still far superior to DVD.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

shouldn’t be a 1:1 copy of the original and no loss in quality?

Compression Blu-ray to AVCHD DVD (DVD5 or DVD9) is on our top to-do list, please be patient.

[QUOTE=Blodulv;2226978]shouldn’t be a 1:1 copy of the original and no loss in quality?[/QUOTE]

Indistinguishable loss and no loss are totally different things.

I never said that there was no loss as by definition there has to be some loss when anything is recompressed using lossy techniques.

The quality achieved though is attributable to both the amazing efficiency of the x264 codec and the inefficient compression of a blu-ray source.

Jdobbs only started this project because he was amazed at the quality and I’m very glad to see that DVDFab is also going down this route as this will be a very worthwhile enhancement.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=fengtao;2227075]Compression Blu-ray to AVCHD DVD (DVD5 or DVD9) is on our top to-do list, please be patient.[/QUOTE]

Fengtao,

Would you not be better supporting BD-5 & BD-9 as well as AVCHD?

BD-5 and BD-9 are basically mini-blu-ray discs with the standard blu-ray file structure and may be compatible with certain players that don’t necessarily support AVCHD.

[B]Wombler[/B]

i just want it so i can rip it to hard disk… i don;t want to lose quality… it just saves continually getting the blu ray disk out all the time when i want to watch the movie

Hi Wombler,

We will support BD on DVD5 and BD on DVD9 output, thanks for your suggestion.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

[QUOTE=fengtao;2227537]Hi Wombler,

We will support BD on DVD5 and BD on DVD9 output, thanks for your suggestion.

Best Regards,
Fengtao[/QUOTE]

Glad to help and thanks for listening. :cool:

[B]Wombler[/B]