Backing up Black Hawk Down

vbimport

Hey guys, i just went out and picked up a copy of the above game and was wondering if anyone has had any problems backing it up. I had a look at the disk with Yaps and when i tell it to look at the directory on the original cd it says it has Dummy Files and its oversized, and when i tell it to look at the installed directory it says Securom “New”. Also i gace it a go with clony and it said something about read errors. I have searched on the forum and most people tend to lean toward Securom “New”. So then i tried the twinpeaks method combined with Clone cd. Since i am using an older version of it i got the 3 options where it says keep TOC as on source and such, when i choose the first option i get another message asking me to either 1 Try to overburn(as image does not fit on destination disk) or 2 Write until the end of the media is reached. By the way this is the aussie release. Has anyone had this option come up yet? Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Reader/Writer combo LTD163D/LTR-24102B

CShark
CD Freaks Junior Member

Black Hawk Down

I scanned Black Hawk Down with Clony XXL and Yaps, Yaps found nothing and Clony just detected Illegal TOC and dummy files. Clone CD should have made this easy but no, disk will install, but not play. Explored the CD it does not have the typical securom files in it. Clony usually detects securom. Also the image will not play from Clones virtual or Alcohol’s virtural drives. Another weird thing is that on the CD there is an old fashioned .bat file to start the autorun. I haven’t seen that in years. Novalogic!
I have the US version. Has anyone made a working copy? Fill us in as to what you did.
Thanks ahead of time.

I26
New on Forum

Just so you know…Delta Force Black Hawk Down has SecuROM NEW v4.84.69.0048 on it. It will be detected by CLony when u scan the install directory itself. Hope this helps. I did make myself a backup using blindwrite 4.2.5 using the bwa method and it works fine. It works great in my burner but tends to give a little grief in my dvd-rom.

CShark
CD Freaks Junior Member

I26, Thanks. Yup securom. Weird. I used twin peaks to copy with the BWA builder from 4.28. Works great. I have tested it in my Liteon 48125, 522452, plextor 482448, a Plex 40x SCSI cd rom and a toshiba SCSI DVD so far it works in everything except the Toshiba That somehow does not surprise me. The Toshiba is a very picky drive.

FutureProof
Senior Admin

quote:

Originally posted by I26

Thats funny about the picky Toshiba. My DVD-ROM will not play it either. Seems only that it can be played in a burner.

It was discovered a little while ago that a .bwa or twin peak backup will not install from a Plex, Toshi or ASUS.
With Clone CD:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64732 Follow philamber’s instructions to the letter - nothing should differ.

With Alcohol 120%:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67242

With Blindwrite (different game, same method):

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58959

Thanks for the reply FP, i forgot to mention that i read philamber’s post. Sorry about that, but what his post does not mention the next series of options that Clone cd gives me which is

1 Try to overburn(as image does not fit on destination disk) or 2 Write until the end of the media is reached.

I have never encountered this before. I am pretty sure that the Lite-On can overburn but i would rather be sure and see if anyone else has been to this point in trying to back up BHD.

TIA :slight_smile:

I haven’t ‘twinpeaked’ this title. But I’d use option (1)
Make sure you are using 80’ discs (700MB)

Had a go at recording it with the setting you suggested and the game boots up fine but at the main screen single and multiplayer have been greyed out. Someone else in this forum mentioned the exact same thing. Have they strengthened the protection somehow? Will keep trying though. Hopefully i can get a successfuk backup of this game.

Thanks FP

The protection software allows the game developers to program-in any sort of API they like if authentication fails, or maybe even is considered suspicious. This is public information on their websites. The fact that these critical options, in your case, are greyed out makes me think that the copy is not as good as it should be; and rather than just pseudo-crashing or asking for the original, it’s the developer playing with your mind.

Originally posted by FutureProof
The fact that these critical options, in your case, are greyed out makes me think that the copy is not as good as it should be; and rather than just pseudo-crashing or asking for the original, it’s the developer playing with your mind.

Your exactly right FP. It does the same thing with other Nova Logic titles.

You might find that you will have to reinstall the game to get the original to work. I had this problem with Land Warrior. It would grey out the single player and multi player options in the startup menu after trying to run the game with the backup, even if I tried with the original. Had to reinstall to get it to work again.

I have yet to make a working backup of Land warrior without the above mentioned problem.

Well i eventually got a working copy. Did an mds => bwa conversion and it loaded up fine and the back up now works.

Thanks for all the replies:cool:

Got hold of this game for testing today. Nothing new with this one. It can be copied using standard securom 4.8x methods.

Got a perfect .bwa file first try using my Ltd-163 at 12x, made an image of the cd with that drive with the standard game cd profile reading at max, twinpeaked it and burnt the patched image with my old Ltr-24102B using the game cd profile at max speed using the crappiest media I could find.

Result: Working copy installs and plays without any difficulties.

Originally posted by philamber
[B]Got hold of this game for testing today. Nothing new with this one. It can be copied using standard securom 4.8x methods.

Result: Working copy installs and plays without any difficulties. [/B]
There you go…but reliable reading from the original is the key.