Backing up Anime - Compression and CCE questions

When backing up Anime DVD’s that have to be compressed to fit on a Single Layer DVD, does anime compress better than normal movies? I’m trying to figure out whether I’m going to use DVD Shrink or CCE, and if anime compresses better than standard film, then I will use DVD Shrink.

Are there any compatability issues when you use CCE? Is a DVD movie you made with CCE any less compatable than a movie made with DVDShrink or CloneDVD? After reading some various posts at doom9.org I just wanted to make sure before I start backing up my movies.

BTW, if anyone who backs up a lot of anime movies has any tips, please let me know.

there’s really no way to make a blanket statement about whether or not a whole genre of movies compresses better than others, but a few blanket statements can be made about cartoons. the more solid the colors are, the less macroblocking you’ll encounter. you might want to try using dvdshrink with one dvd to see if it produces acceptable results.

CCE itself doesn’t author the dvd for you; it’s the frontend (or a program controlled by the frontend) that will handle that. with that being said, i’m not aware of any of the frontends creating non-standard dvds.

When I say “CCE”, I’m actually referring to the whole DVDRB & CCE method. Just said “CCE” instead of saying everything involved.

I started wondering about compatability, when using DVDRB & CCE, when I read the following at doom9.org’s site about fixes to DVD-Rebuilder:

October 3rd, 2004 v0.63)

• Corrected rebuilding code to prevent “runt” VOBUs (less than .4 seconds). This
    will bring the newly authored stream more tightly into compliance with DVD
    standards. This is KNOWN to have caused audio/video stutter on some DVDs.

There are a few other “fixes” like the above. I just wanted to make sure, because I like to know that my backups are as compatible as possible.

As for my anime question, I was basically wondering how others preferred to backup anime. Thought someone could tell me what they’ve found works best.