Backing up all my software to be able to install on another PC or Mac

vbimport

I have acquired quite a bit of various softwares, some on CDs & DVDs & others were downloaded online, straight to the C drive program files. Adobe photoshop elements 6.0, Microsoft Expression media, Imageburn, downloader pro, etc, that I have installed on a dell PC with windows XP home, service pack 2. I would like to be able to back up my software, & be able to install it on another machine if I need to, also I would like to be able to back up updates of my softwares with along with my backups as well.

The software is mostly PC platform, would I be able to install it on a Mac that can run windows, if I had to? or am I pretty much committed to the PC platform? if I went to a Mac would I have to get all Mac versions of my software?

what is the best way to go about all this?

Sossity

First of all, any program that have ‘installed’ on your PC will also have to be ‘installed’ on any PC you want to port it to. You cannot simply copy installed programs and have them work on a different pc. There are usually registry entries that are added any time you install software. The registry entries will not be backed up and will not be transfered.
If you still have the program downloads that you installed from, usually the setup, install, zip, etc. file, then you can copy those to a different PC and run the installers.
As for using windows programs on a mac, you need paralles or bootcamp, or at least crossover for mac.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2176491]First of all, any program that have ‘installed’ on your PC will also have to be ‘installed’ on any PC you want to port it to. You cannot simply copy installed programs and have them work on a different pc. There are usually registry entries that are added any time you install software. The registry entries will not be backed up and will not be transfered.
If you still have the program downloads that you installed from, usually the setup, install, zip, etc. file, then you can copy those to a different PC and run the installers.
As for using windows programs on a mac, you need paralles or bootcamp, or at least crossover for mac.[/QUOTE]

so if I dont have the program downloads, I cannot use my software on any other machine? so I have to buy it again if I want to use it on another machine?

where can I find the program downloads? how do I find out if I still have the program downloads? & how do I back those up?

Let’s take Imgburn for an example. When you go to download it you are giving the option of ‘opening’ or ‘saving’ the file. The file is called Imgburn(version)setup.exe. If you chose to ‘open’ the file from the download then it will automatically run ‘setup’ and the setup program will not be saved on your disk. If you chose ‘save’, then the setup program is saved on your disk probably somewhere in your documents/downloads folder or maybe the desktop, but I really don’t know where. Once the setup program is on your disk, you have to navigate to it, and double click or right click and select run, then the actual Imgburn program will be installed, along with the reigstry keys and probably some .dll’s.
I don’t know how you installed these programs or where or if the setup/install programs are on your disk. You can always search for keyword ‘setup’ or ‘install’ with the windows search option. As for the ones on CD/DVD, those are easy. Just insert the disk and run the install. For commercial software that you have paid for check the eula, maybe there is no restriction on how many pc’s it can be installed on, maybe there is.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2176572]Let’s take Imgburn for an example. When you go to download it you are giving the option of ‘opening’ or ‘saving’ the file. The file is called Imgburn(version)setup.exe. If you chose to ‘open’ the file from the download then it will automatically run ‘setup’ and the setup program will not be saved on your disk. If you chose ‘save’, then the setup program is saved on your disk probably somewhere in your documents/downloads folder or maybe the desktop, but I really don’t know where. Once the setup program is on your disk, you have to navigate to it, and double click or right click and select run, then the actual Imgburn program will be installed, along with the reigstry keys and probably some .dll’s.
I don’t know how you installed these programs or where or if the setup/install programs are on your disk. You can always search for keyword ‘setup’ or ‘install’ with the windows search option. As for the ones on CD/DVD, those are easy. Just insert the disk and run the install. For commercial software that you have paid for check the eula, maybe there is no restriction on how many pc’s it can be installed on, maybe there is.[/QUOTE]

I have the disc media to most of the softwares I have, but one I got an update to; for example I have iview media Pro 3 on a CD-Rom, but I also downloaded a free upgrade to it of microsoft expression media onto my hard drive, I did not get a CD-Rom for this, how do I back this up & move it to a new computer along with iview media pro? how should I back up & move updates/upgrades of my software that I have discs of?

Also for my software that I have discs for, how do I make a back up copies of my discs? can I burn a back up to another blank disc?

I’m not familiar with Iview Media Pro 3, but if you still have the original disk and the free upgrade hasn’t expired you might just have to install it on the new pc and try the upgrade again. I’m not saying that it will work, maybe the registration is only good for one machine, I don’t know, but you can’t just take the program from your Program folder and copy it, this I know won’t work.
As for making backups of your disks, if they aren’t encrypted, just use image burn to make an iso and burn it to a new disk. If they are encrypted you can try Dvd Decrypter or Anydvd to try and make a copy.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2176705]I’m not familiar with Iview Media Pro 3, but if you still have the original disk and the free upgrade hasn’t expired you might just have to install it on the new pc and try the upgrade again. I’m not saying that it will work, maybe the registration is only good for one machine, I don’t know, but you can’t just take the program from your Program folder and copy it, this I know won’t work.
As for making backups of your disks, if they aren’t encrypted, just use image burn to make an iso and burn it to a new disk. If they are encrypted you can try Dvd Decrypter or Anydvd to try and make a copy.[/QUOTE]

for the programs that I have a disc for & make an iso file of, can I get up dates to it if they are available when I install the program on another computer? will I be able to get updates?

As to whether you can install/update your programs on another pc it will depend on the the software company’s licensing policy. For example, if you install software A, maybe you are given a registration code or activation key, maybe you filled out a form of some kind, maybe this information is retained by the software company and if you try to install their program on a different PC, they will see that it’s already registered and will not allow program A to be installed on a new PC. This varies from program to program and from software vendor to software vendor. One way to check, if you have access to another PC, try and install one of your programs and see what happens. You might get lucky and everything will install without a hitch, maybe not, but at least you will know what you can and can’t do. As for getting the updates, if the program installs, then there should be no reason you can’t get the updates as well. You really should check the eula, end user licensing agreement, of the software you want to transfer to see if it’s licensed for only one machine. Just because you paid for a copy of a program doesn’t always mean you can use it on more than one pc. Just like Windows is only licensed for one pc.

Why not just get another hard drive and clone it using XXCLONE which is free but of course this wouldn’t work if you tried to install in a MAC but at least you would have a complete backup for PC and then you could install the HD in another computer

[QUOTE=Sossity;2176483]I have acquired quite a bit of various softwares, some on CDs & DVDs & others were downloaded online, straight to the C drive program files. Adobe photoshop elements 6.0, Microsoft Expression media, Imageburn, downloader pro, etc, that I have installed on a dell PC with windows XP home, service pack 2. I would like to be able to back up my software, & be able to install it on another machine if I need to, also I would like to be able to back up updates of my softwares with along with my backups as well.

The software is mostly PC platform, would I be able to install it on a Mac that can run windows, if I had to? or am I pretty much committed to the PC platform? if I went to a Mac would I have to get all Mac versions of my software?

what is the best way to go about all this?

Sossity[/QUOTE]

Making a story short no you can’t use software for PC on Mac unless it comes as a package to install on both PC/Mac version and it has to says so from the web site. Even on PC if you copy the software and try to transfer it to another PC it won’t work properly and you asking for more BSOD and problems. If you going to run PC on Mac you need a VM or emulator program to run PC program properly. What I would ask is why you haven’t backed those program onto a separate media or memory stick so that you could reinstall them on a later date? So reason being if you did a reinstall or recover on your PC you can install those program again. Also if when you do reinstall be sure to backup all your saved data you created from each of those programs since their installations. That way you can just copy and paste them back into the correct folders without loosing them. Going to Mac you most likely would have to get the Mac version of those programs is they do and when you do your PC create file format might not be recognized by the Mac version without doing some kinda or import option. Best advice is when you download those exe or install program backup those programs to separate storage medium so you can have them incase you need to reinstall them on the current or new PC computer. But PC and Mac store files differently in different format so you can’t just move one from the other without doing some kinda import option. AFAIK.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2176892]Making a story short no you can’t use software for PC on Mac unless it comes as a package to install on both PC/Mac version and it has to says so from the web site. Even on PC if you copy the software and try to transfer it to another PC it won’t work properly and you asking for more BSOD and problems. If you going to run PC on Mac you need a VM or emulator program to run PC program properly. What I would ask is why you haven’t backed those program onto a separate media or memory stick so that you could reinstall them on a later date? So reason being if you did a reinstall or recover on your PC you can install those program again. Also if when you do reinstall be sure to backup all your saved data you created from each of those programs since their installations. That way you can just copy and paste them back into the correct folders without loosing them. Going to Mac you most likely would have to get the Mac version of those programs is they do and when you do your PC create file format might not be recognized by the Mac version without doing some kinda or import option. Best advice is when you download those exe or install program backup those programs to separate storage medium so you can have them incase you need to reinstall them on the current or new PC computer. But PC and Mac store files differently in different format so you can’t just move one from the other without doing some kinda import option. AFAIK.[/QUOTE]

some of the programs I have were bought as downloads directly from their website, I did not get a disc, is there any way I can retrieve those programs? find all files, even the install files, & back them up?

You have to know if you installed from the website or if you downloaded first and then installed. If the latter, then you have the programs on your disk somewhere, unless they’ve been deleted. Did you get any kind of activation or registration key with these programs? If you are a registered user perhaps you can just download and install again. It all depends on the software maker’s policy. Check their websites for more information