Backing up a DVD

vbimport

In the past, I have never had a problem backing up the DVD’s that I have purchased for my collection. Recently however, I have been unable to back-up both Iron Man 3 and the Star Trek Into Darkness. I run SlySoft Any DVD in the background and use DVD shrink to create an ISO file. These two they seem to have done something with the linkage between the VOB files which prevents the back-up software from working. Anyone have any ideas?

You Have to right click the red fox and select rip to hard drive then use the OLD dvd shrink and that should work. You do not say what version of anydvd your using. You can use clonedvd or you can try Imgburn a free program. Dvd shrink is very old and can not handle these dvds without ripping to hard drive first. If you using an old version of anydvd -your wasting your time.

And if DVDShrink runs into problems with the files generated by AnyDVD run them through FixVTS to clean them up first.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks for the feed back, however. . . to date, I have already tried the ‘old’ DVD shrink and it didn’t work. I also have a copy Clone DVD which did not work either. I have also tried DVD Decrypt and DVD converter. I have also tried several other software such as handbrake and DVD Smith. With all of them I get the same or similar message. I also have tried IfoEdit. I think it has something with the way the VOB files are linked together and/or their relationship with the IFO file.

Just tried FixVTS, that did not work either.

The latest version of AnyDVD should be able to decrypt these with no issues. Right-clicking on the red fox icon at the bottom right of the screen and ripping as files is the correct way to decrypt these movies.

Once on the hard drive you can use any number of tools. Are you trying to get a full backup, or do you want movie only?

DVDRebuilder will give you the best quality output if compressing to fit a single layer dvd, but it is slower than transcoders like Shrink or CloneDVD. You’ll need to decrypt first before using it.

What has changed in anyDVD that would allow it to compensate for the way that these new movies are secured? They do not seem to be encrypted, because anyDVD (and some others that I have tried) stop after the VTS_01.VOB thinking that they are done. It appears that they are doing something funny with the linkage between the VOB files and/or the associated IFO file. Something that allows a standard player to play them but causes computer software to choke.

You never answered what version of anydvd and clonedvd you have??? These two have no problem backing up the dvds you mentioned!!
Shrink is OLD and can only handle these dvds by first copy to hard drive with anydvd and then use dvd shrink. I would use anydvd with clonedvd to backup these movies.

Sorry, it’s 7.2.3.0.
Can you (or anybody) guarantee me that if I purchase the latest version of anyDVD that it will in fact allow me to make back-up copies of Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3 and World War Z? These are the three specific movies (out of my collection of over 700) that anyDVD will not back-up. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to be difficult, I just don’t like spending money for no reason.

If you have a current or lifetime license you won’t need to purchase the latest version of AnyDVD. Just download it from slysoft & install it .
You don’t even need to uninstall the version you have .
It should autodetect the license you already have.

And WHEN (not IF, but when) new disks arrive with new copy-protects, AnyDVD works to solve those. That’s one of their big claims to fame.

[QUOTE=DVDmavin;2711613]Sorry, it’s 7.2.3.0.
Can you (or anybody) guarantee me that if I purchase the latest version of anyDVD that it will in fact allow me to make back-up copies of Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3 and World War Z? These are the three specific movies (out of my collection of over 700) that anyDVD will not back-up. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to be difficult, I just don’t like spending money for no reason.[/QUOTE]

How can we in a forum guarantee slysofts software as this is not slysofts forum. All I know is I was able to back up these movies with anydvd and clonedvd( you said you have) . You are wasting your own time and the people who have answered you questions time also. Good luck!!

Updating anydvd should fix your problem

I’m sorry folks, I’m new to forums and, by the way that everyone seems to be pushing anyDVD, I got the impression that this [I]was [/I]a Slysoft forum. Anyway, I’m convinced. I’m going to renew my anyDVD license today. Thanks to all for the help.

I’d have said watch for someting on the Thanksgiving freebies, or maybe try DVD Fab decrypter

[QUOTE=DVDmavin;2711684]the way that everyone seems to be pushing anyDVD, I got the impression that this [I]was [/I]a Slysoft forum. [/QUOTE]

The reason you got the answers you did is that you already have AnyDVD. Or indicated you did.
So why would members start recommending or giving help for other software ?
Especially when we have had good results with AnyDVD.

I’m sure if you look over the forum you will find that DVDFab gets about an equal share. Their PassKey is very similar to AnyDVD.
DVDFab also has it “all-in-one” versions to do backup copies.

Then there is Ideal DVD Copy . It doesn’t have a seperate program you can run like AnyDVD but it does decrypt & copy DVDs.
The list goes on .

AnyDVD will also rip to either DVD files or .ISO . The only drawback is it only does the full DVD copy . That means you have to compress it to single layer if that is what you are making backups on. You should be able to use DVDShrink to do that.

Thanks to all for all of your help. I went ahead and renewed my anyDVD license and it did work. Problem solved!