Backing up a Backup

vbimport

I’ve been using any dvd and clone dvd to backup my dvds…no prob at all. When I play the backups (dvd+r media) on my stand alone(Koss kd 365) it tends to freeze or skip frequently. Strangely enough, if I take one of these back ups and back IT up using the Sonic Record Now software that came with my burner, the result is a completely working backup on my Koss from a skipping /freezeing one. The Sonic software does add .gi files, thats got to be it. Any ideas? I’ve searched this site without much luck w .gi files reguarding movies, mostly ps2 stuff. Point is, the sonic software obviously has no compress or edit capabilities so it can’t be used alone. So new dvd player? 15 step process? Backup each backup? ADVICE? TY all!

Originally posted by target1027

When I play the backups (dvd+r media) on my stand alone(Koss kd 365) it tends to freeze or skip frequently.

So new dvd player? TY all!
target1027, hi there !

I used to have a similar problem when playing some copied by CloneDVD stuff. I mean CloneDVD had/has nothing to do with it @all, it did/does its job just fine.

Here I must stress that all Taiyo Yuden were playable on my 5,5 y.o standalone Panasonic A350
( I remember paying for it around $1.000, lol ) with no problems whatsoever. So, TY has always been great !
Unlike the other media - Ricoh DVD+R were like a 50-50% success there,
some less reliable DVDRs ( like Gigastorage, Optodisc and stuff ) weren’t playable there @all > ‘NO DISC’

And you know what ? About a month ago I bought another DVD player, a cheap United DVD5057M, and voila ! > all the issues with the “crappy” media have vanished without a trace.
Believe it or not, there’s no freezing, no skipping, no issues w DVD+RW whatsoever.
So, maybe it’s time for a change, huh ? :wink:

It’s really funny, but seems to be right. The cheaper a standalone player is, the less problems you have playing burned media. The reason is that they use those cheap dvd-roms originally produced to be used in computer systems.

Thanks guys, sounds like you guys are tellin me to pick up another cheap dvd player. But believe it or not,I picked up my koss 3 months ago for only $52 WITH a 2 year replacement warrenty at Sears…doesn’t get much cheaper than that…lol! I have searched for info about my stand alones reading compatability on the web, and this Koss does seem to get decent reviews. Maybe I’ll try takin one of my backups to the store and seeing what kind of results I get on the display models. I’ll let ya know! TY again.

Originally posted by target1027

I have searched for info about my stand alones reading compatability on the web, and this Koss does seem to get decent reviews.
Something like that, I guess > Koss kd365 :wink: