Backed up games crashing... :(

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this…

Ok, it seems like I’m having problems with SD2 2.8x…

Not sure how to explain this…
I backed up Need for speed: Hot Pursuit 2 with the Toshiba as a reader, burned it, and it plays perfectly in my Toshiba SDM-1402.

(However I never tested it in the burner, with hide CDR media at that time).

edit the burner is a Liteon 24102B :slight_smile:

Anyway, I recently bought a Liteon LTD-166S, and, believe it or not, the same game that worked just fine on the Toshiba, crashes on the 166S. It doesn’t say anything like “wrong disc inserted: please eject and reinsert” (this is what happens when you use a backed up disc in a burner, without hide CDR Media enabled), it crashes completely. Here is the error:

NFSHP2 caused an invalid page fault in
module ~DF394B.TMP at 0187:1002aa4e.

(now, that temp file seems to be created, along with some other DLL files related to safedisc2, while the game is running, and deleted when the game is closed).

I get this SAME error when trying to play it with the burner, with Hide CDR media :frowning: But it works perfectly in the Toshiba SDM1402.

Any ideas…? Is this something anyone else has seen?
I’m welcome to technical explanations on this. But I sort of need a fix, as I don’t have enough IDE slots to use both my Toshiba and 166S at the same time :bigsmile:

Is this crashing/ invalid page fault, a known problem?

The type of error message you’re getting is typical of a bad back-up copy with sd 2.8x. The other type of error message that you generally get with a failed back-up of a sd 2.8x cd is that your registry has been corrupted and that you need to re-install (you don’t, but you do need to re-boot before trying again or using your original cd for that matter).

What is curious is that your copy ran properly from your Toshi but not from your Lite-on dvd. Usually, if one were a problem, it would be the other way round.

Also, I doubt that you’ll be able to run your copy from your writer even with hide cd media. I know I can’t run my back-up copy of NFSHP2 from my Ltr-24102b (not that I would ever want to except for testing purposes) though it runs fine from my Ltd-163.

Well, I’ve heard from various posts that the Toshibas are the best at everything. And now I think I know why. They are really the best readers, outside of a TEAC. (although, my old Teac 532 E-B could read a game that was burned on a 99 minute CD, that the Toshiba can’t even START to read, and the Liteon 166-S gets slightly further but fails also).

The only reason I even got the Liteon is for its DVD-Multi ability, and because the Toshiba is finiky with certain Media…(it reads everything (besides some 99 minute burns), but slows down close to the end of a CD, on various brands.)

But yes, I’d love to know that, too. Why would a “failed” SD 2.8 copy work in the Toshiba, but not in either Lite-on LTD-166S or 24102B (the burner itself, which burned the image !) ?

Also, on another totally unrelated point my LTD-166S takes anywhere between 30 seconds to 3 minutes to recognize my Morrowind CD (CD1) in WINDOWS only, even for a simple “DIR” listing while in pure DOS mode, with atapi drivers, it recognizes it instantly (???). Someone care to explain THAT one to me? That’s the only CD where I’ve seen that happen with, so far…(yes, both the Toshi and the burner recognize the CD instantly, too).

Quote by Falkentyne

Also, on another totally unrelated point my LTD-166S takes anywhere between 30 seconds to 3 minutes to recognize my Morrowind CD (CD1) in WINDOWS only, even for a simple “DIR” listing while in pure DOS mode, with atapi drivers, it recognizes it instantly (???). Someone care to explain THAT one to me?

It’s just a theory of mine, I think it is to do with the filesystem. A CDROM for the PC usually has 2 separate tables for the file and directory names - ISO 9660 standard and the Joliet for long file names written on the CD. I suspect that the pointers in the Joliet table have erraneous data which would give problems when doing a dir listing. Since Windows will prefer to use the Joliet version it will have a problem, but DOS can only use the latter so will be ok.