Backblaze: decline of average price per GB for HDDs pretty much ended

Originally published at: http://www.myce.com/news/backblaze-decline-average-price-per-gb-hdds-pretty-much-ended-82253/

The stabilizing average price per Gigabyte of hard disk drives will be a challenge for cloud storage providers, because users will generate more data in the future. according to cloud storage provider Backblaze based on research on the 75,000 HDDs it purchased the last couple of years.

Really and they didn’t expect this coming???

Consumers were conditioned to expect falling prices as time goes by… after the price gouging that went on after a slight 5% loss in production due to the flooding in Thailand and Malaysia (2011-2014) all that changed. HDD mfg’s kept their higher price trend and wholesalers got in on the collusion action making street prices all that much higher.

All of this combined with overall economy inflation (your $1 doesn’t go as far) means things just COST more than they used to, so price per GB looks to flatten out anyway. That leads to $350 - $500 10TB hard drives… Over time this will shift, but it’s not a curve… it’s an almost indistinguishable from a parallel line decline. Just look at cpu, ddr memory makers and gpu makers… they’re off to the races with sky high increases.

I have yet to see any technology leaps on platter tech to say why they increase in price. Putting hydrogen in case with platters isn’t called new tech. New DDR, GPU and CPU will command higher price but will drop eventually. So this analogy doesn’t fit for either or. Once new DDR, GPU and CPU comes out old will drop in price and is different market then HDD. Unless they come up with new Platter tech it’s not really new just cause they put hydrogen in the case. Now if they get 10tb SSD that would be a revolution but since they want to squeeze every amount of blood from consumers first I don’t see this changing anytime soon.

I guess the decrease in HDD pricing had to end soon. However, if SSD prices start declining enough to completely replace HDDs, I imagine HDD prices will drop to a new low as retailers make room for more SSDs.

At least USB flash drives and (Micro)SD cards are dirt-cheap. Just 10 bucks will get you a 32GB drive. With prices that low, why do people use clould backup services?

[quote=“TSJnachos117, post:5, topic:398780, full:true”]
I guess the decrease in HDD pricing had to end soon. However, if SSD prices start declining enough to completely replace HDDs, I imagine HDD prices will drop to a new low as retailers make room for more SSDs.[/quote]I’ll see that when it happens.

[quote=“TSJnachos117, post:5, topic:398780, full:true”]At least USB flash drives and (Micro)SD cards are dirt-cheap. Just 10 bucks will get you a 32GB drive. With prices that low, why do people use clould backup services?
[/quote]It’s called I like to have others share my naked pictures of me to others. lol One shouldn’t even backup important files to cloud as they are primary targets for crackers to blackmail you.