Back up Wii games

Hi all,
What is the recommended setting and media to do a fully functional backup copy of video games, namely, the Wii? Should a full DVD 9 format be used, or can DVD 5 suffice and still provide the expected quality? Thank you in advance for any/all help.

Randy

Game DVD backups are made using Clone mode, which requires that the source and target disc be the same size.

How can I determine the required size, or is DVD 9 an industry standard? Thanks again. I appreciate the quick response.

Randy.

[QUOTE=bding93;1946547]How can I determine the required size, or is DVD 9 an industry standard? Thanks again. I appreciate the quick response.

Randy.[/QUOTE]

DVD 9

DVDFab will prompt you if you have the wrong size blank inserted. I agree with calcu007 that most are probably DVD9s.

I wouldn’t bet on this working though, don’t be suprised if original Wii discs contain data that can’t be cloned. ( because standard DVD writers cannot reproduce the “Bad” data which the copy protection checks for on the original DVD.

Let us know the results if you try it please.

you can also go to my computer & right click on drive & select properties to see if the disc is over 4.7 gb

[QUOTE=cyspur;1946636]you can also go to my computer & right click on drive & select properties to see if the disc is over 4.7 gb[/QUOTE]

That will work only if Wiii uses microsoft file formats ( & there’s no reason why they should, if they want to discourage copying! )

I googled this ( as my grandson has a wii, so I’m interested in knowing what’s possible).

you won’t be able to play from backup DVDs unless your Wii has a mod chip fitted or unless you do geeky stuff with a PC interface & a soldering iron. Same is true for Xbox360 I believe.

thought it was a pc game :o
googles a good friend :bigsmile:

Thanks so much for the info. I will give it a try, but sounds like it won’t work. Take care. If it does or not, I will post back.

Randy

I can’t get DVD Fab to read a WII disk for it to be cloned.

That’s not surprising, but you can try turning PathPlayer off in Common Settings.

In order to backup wii games you need a special LG drive and a program called rawdump. You can find the drive on ebay for around 50 dollars. After ripping just burn with imageburn and your done.

Cybmole is correct, you will need a modchip installed to boot the backup. However, this doesn’t hold true for the xbox 360. It does not require a modchip. You can flash the firmware of the drive to make it boot backups no modchip required.

Also, there has been only one wii game to date that is DVD9. All other games are dvd5 and alot cheaper to backup. Super smash bros brawl is the only dvd9 game…so far

Do you have a link or item or model number for the LG drive?

Just search for “wii drive” …

I use the DVD Rom GDR-8164B drive. There are others that work as well, but the GDR-8164B has never failed me.

Thanks to both of you for the info. I don’t have either system myself but people are always asking.

for every console there is a specific list of mods that have to be done & a specific technique for making backups. Just cloning the original game with a program like DVDfab will NOT work.

I own a professionally modded Xbox 360 which will play backups but I had to buy a specific DVD drive with KREON firmware to read the security sectors from original DVDs & use that with the xbox backup creator software that was bundled with the drive to create a .ISO image
Once I have a rip, then I can burn it to Verbatim DL using IMGburn & keep the originals in pristine condition. Verbatim are very compatible with Xbox360 drives & I’ve found the HP DL are also very good, but seem to be unavailable at present.

I don’t own wii but if I did, then I’d google how to make backups & get the specific tools for the job.

Note also that for on-line gamers ( which I’m not) it’s an ongoing “cops n robbers” battle between microsoft & the backup software creators,

because if xbox live detects a cloned game in use, then it will permanently ban the game console ( not just the game! ) from ever playing on xbox live.

Want to know how to backup your Wii games?
Here it is, Step By Step!
This article is aimed at someone that has not followed the modding scene for the Nintendo Wii and wants to be caught up in one quick de-briefing. The contents of this file could become outdated very quickly because the modding scene is exploding right now. Remember that to play the backups [B][U]you will need a modchip[/U][/B]!

First step in copying your games for backup purposes is to get the right software and hardware. You will need one of the following DVD drives to copy games([B][U]no others will work[/U][/B]). I received a pm that some people were having trouble locating the drives. Newegg no longer sell these drives for some reason. Check eBay or google the drives

Here is a List of Drives that will ONLY work!!!

• LG-8164b
  • LG-8163b
  • LG-8162b
  • LG-8161b

Personally I have the 8164b and have had zero problems. I’m sure the others are fine also.
Once you install this drive into your computer you will need to download a few applications. Again Google this applications they are ALL FREE!!!

*Raw dump 2.0

.net Framework 2.0

• Software to unzip the Raw Dump files.Winrar

Once you download the files above then right-click on the rawdump2.0.rar and select "Extract to rawdump2.0"
this will make a folder on your desktop called rawdump2.0.

Now insert your Wii or Gamecube game into the LG drive that you have ordered and installed. Then open the rawdump2.0 folder and double click on the rawdump2.0.exe file.

The next step is to just click “Start Dump.” The process will take anywhere between 2.5 hours to 4 Hours. When it is complete you will be greeted with a nice finished message. The file it creates will be in the same directory as the rawdump.exe file. It should be called “Game Name.iso.” This ISO is an image of the actual game and is ready to be burned. You can burn this image with many different application.

This step is very important. You need to check your file and see how many KB large it is. To do this Right-Click on your iso(this is in your rawdump directory) and select properties. It should say,

Nintendo Wii ISO size: 4.37 GB (4,699,979,776 bytes).

Nintendo Gamecube ISO size: 1.35 GB (1,459,978,240 bytes)

All Nintendo Wii and Gamecube images will be this exact byte size. If your Wii image is off by any then you have a bad dump and need to try again.

So next step is to open Burn image application (Nero) Imgburn.

The first step once nero opens it to just cancel out of the create new dvd/cd/etc dialog. Once you have exited from this dialog you go to Recorder->Burn Image.

After making it this far you are almost done. When you click burn image you will be asked to locate the image. The image will be located in your Rawdump2.0 folder. For me, this is on the desktop.

Select the game that you have dumped with rawdump and click open. You will then be presented with the below dialog. Make sure to select a relatively slow burn speed at first to attempt to prevent DRE’s(Disc Read Errors). These seem to be common among people that do not use high quality dvd’s.

I hope this mini-guide helps you. If you have any questions or I said something wrong please post a comments.
Thanks and GOOD LUCK!!!:clap: