Back-up Hard Drive

I would like to back up my entire HD. I have both EZCD ver 5 & Nero ver 4.9. Is there a way to backup a small HD (1.8 gig) to multiple CDs? I’m using Win98SE. What I would like is to have my entire HD on CDs and in the event of a failure, plop in the new HD, boot with a start-up disk and restore all my stuff to the new drive. Can this be done, if so, how?

Newer versions of Nero (5.5+, I think) have an option that lets you burn a hard drive back up onto CD

is possible…

EZCD 5 Platinum has TAKE TWO. Nero also has backup option.

There is also a Dedicated Backup Software for CD-RW from NTI.

Check it out.

Ghost is also a good option.

Choice is yours & depends on the purpose.

A second HD is always your best option. DriveImage will do this job, and several others, for you. Imaging the drive is the least space-hogging method of backing it up. I’ve had numerous successes with it, never a failure. It has saved me from my own mistakes many times to have a current image available, and you can restore just one file from the image if that’s all you need.
So what i do is use 2 hard drives, the second is only for backup images, swap file, cache functions, etc. Every night, on a schedule, DriveImage runs a complete image of my 2 main partitions from the first drive to the second. I also keep a monthly copy of this image on CD, D.I. will split it into CD-sized chunks.
As far as i know, this is the only method of back-up that does not require a functioning operating system and/or back-up software to work.

I agree with rdgrimes…

if you want to backup your entire drive, in my opinion, it’s best to stick with software that specifically does that. I’ve used NTI Backup Now which worked fine but now I’m using Norton Ghost which is great and doesn’t need Windows for it to work. It runs from a floppy and works with I believe all platforms.

I second rdgrimes’ opinion. I couldn’t have said it better myself :bigsmile:

That being said Ghost is great to to exactly what you intend. I make an image from my main partition (the one I use) to the second (that I use for storage and as a ‘scratch pad’). You can specify the chunk size for the image so that you can eventually burn each chunk onto CD later. I find it is better that way because Ghost does not allow for setting the burn speed if used to burn directly onto CD-R.

I gave up on writing images directly to CD, too may problems, and if it fails, you start all over again. I actually timed the operation with D.I., and it was just a little quicker to write image to HD, then burn to CD later. This is because of an internal limation with D.I. to 8x-12x writing. True, Ghost can do most of the same operations as D.I., (with a lot more fiddling), but only D.I. is now fully automated and scheduled, and supports network drives too. Easy as pie to use.

Symantec Ghost Personal Edition is indeed perfect for that , BUT :

Check which writers are supported first

Is there anyway to image my main smaller slower hard drive onto my new one so I can keep every thing as it is and that will enable me to then format my smaller hard drive and use it as a second hard drive.

Is there anyway to image my main smaller slower hard drive onto my new one so I can keep every thing as it is and that will enable me to then format my smaller hard drive and use it as a second hard drive.

Any of the copy utilities will do this, most drives will come with one or have it available for download. DriveImage can copy and re-size on the fly if you want to do that. Imaging is not recommended for this operation, you want to copy (clone). That said, keep in mind that a fresh install is always better, your system will be faster and more stable, and you can save the old drive for restoring any data you may need, then format it later when everything is restored.

Thanks rdgrimes for your reply is there any software that will copy (clone) that you could recomend. I know that it would be better to do a fresh install of OS but my son wants his drive as it is but transferd over to the new drive.

Any of the copy utilities will do this, most drives will come with one or have it available for download