Back-up FAT database of your CD/DVD

vbimport

Scope:
Owners of CD/DVD’s with lots of photo’s.

Problem:
CD’s and DVD will some day wear out (will not readable because of un solvable errors) this is catasrophic if this happens in the FAT table (File Allocation Table, or whatever it is called by a CD/DVD). When the FAT is not readable you can forget to restore one file.

Solution:
Make a program that will copy the FAT of the CD/DVD in a local database. If you like to retreve a file but the CD/DVD isn’t readabel because of a not readable FAT this program has a back-up of this FAT and therefore can retreive all you files on the CD/DVD (as long they have no error itself).

Probably someone else has made such a program.
Do you have a idea of the name of such a “backup DVD-FAT database”?
Regards,
Otto Kude

The file system on optical nedia is not same as FAT from Windows file system. Many Windows today use NTFS anyway.

True that there might be some unrecoverable error on such optical media. So, for very important data make 2 backups on good media, not cheapo.

1. There are already programs, like ISObuster that can read optical media in more "raw’’ way so they can skip bad sectors, even bad directory. So worst come to worst, you may lose only one file, or even just one part of one file.

I do not follow your entire philosophy of database concept.

1st: I know that a CD/DVD doesn’t use FAT but is uses some form of a file allocation table whatever it is called (but that doesn’t matter here).

2nd: The idea is simple, you start this "FAT"database program, it wil copy ONLY the FAT. You give it a identification which is the same as you write on your CD/DVD. E.g.: “DVD001”. Every (important) DVD you own with photo’s or other important files (not music of video) you “scan” with this program. Suppose you will read a DVD from let say 2 years back, but the “FAT” of that DVD is damaged, you’ll go back to this program, you type in the DVD identifier (in this case “DVD001”) and your complete DVD is readable because the “FAT” (and of course the DET [directory entry table with the names]) isn’t used from your damaged DVD but from this database (on your hard disk).

So if youre in trouble reading a DVD with a damaged FAT or DET (and as far as I know ISObuster can’t help you in this case because that will only skip datafiles and can’t repair unreadable FAT and DET) you still can recover every file on you CD/DVD.

The amount of data for this back-up is relative small. I assume 1 MB per CD/DVD.

Yes, if the datafiles on your CD/DVD has readerrors (too) than this program won’t help.

Why this idea?
If you have 1 error in a dataile on your CD/DVD, only this file isn’t readable.
BUT if you got 1 error in a DET or FAT you can’t read the CD/DVD at all.
To solve the last problem, this program with only a small amount of harddiskspace can solve your trouble.

LOL

Thanks for making me laugh that long.

A TOC only is useless if not futile.

hey Chef,
correct me if i’m wrong, but I strongly beleive that every medium has two tables (who can be integraded). One tells us WHAT THE NAME of the files are. The other tells us WHERE THEY ARE LOCATED (or at least the first sector/chunk) on the medium. In (old DOS) harddisk terms: they are called respectively: DET (Directory Entry Table) and FAT (File Allocation Table).

So, yes, you are right. A TOC, as you call them, in mine example i called it DET, alone is useless. Thats why I called it a “back-up FAT database” program.

So, if you copy the DET and FAT (of a CD/DVD) in a database you STILL can read your CD/DVD files although you will have (unrecoverable) readerrors in the DET and/or FAT.

Wouldn’t that be nice?

“Started with no storage in 1977 except 1024 bytes RAM and Bill’s BASIC in 4 KB ROM”

“correct me if i’m wrong, but I strongly beleive that” you are talking complete and utter bllcks, sorry if it sounds harsh but some people just need to be told.

Well I think the FS of the CD/DVDs… ISO9660 as all moder FS including FAT and NTFS has a backup for the file/directory structure. But maybe I’m wrong. However if you write sensitive data to a CD/DVD… always use quality discs… and make a backup (or 2).