Back up DVD movies on Playstation 2?

vbimport

Hello,
I just bought a Lite-on DVD-RW, +RW and so far so good with my backups. I have one question though. I use DVD2one 1.1.2 and burn with nero and my DVDs work in my Pioneer 343 stand alone, but not in my Playstation 2. So far I am using Fuji DVD+R and DVD+RW discs. I did a search and didn’t see anyone ask this question. Has anyone gotten backups to work in an UN-Modded Playstation 2 ?
Thanks.

My sons PS2 does not play all originals even. I´m not sure, but I dont think the PS2 has to be modded to play DVD-/+R.
I think -R is the best for backup:d games, maybe also for movies?

PS2 laser is very weak, it need high reflective DVD:s, maybe another media would help?

I´ve read somewhere that a lot of ppl has sued Sony for marketing PS2 as a DVD player, when in reality it doesnt play all DVD:s.

You dont need any modding to make a Sony PS2 play backup DVD Video - only to play backup games.

But the PS2 is very picky about media - it does not read DVD+R/RW at all but has no problems reading good qualitymedia DVD-R/RW (like Verbatim or Prodisc)

The PS2 will play back-ups of DVD movies, it will play all dvd-r/w and dvd+r/w unmodded I think the problem you are having is a media problem. The laser in the PS2 is very picky, try another media…

OK,
Thanks everybody, :bow:
I will have to shop around for my media though, the prices in the stores here in Northern Virginia (BestBuy, MicroCenter)are ridiculous when they have them at all. I believe that people are buying DVD Burners and hoarding all the discs that ever go on sale, something like the way it was a few years ago with blank CDRs.
Anyone want to guess what the price will be on a DVD burner next X-Mas ? Probably pretty cheap.

I used the Accu DVD-R’s for the movies I make, and they worked fine in my sisters PS2. In packs of 50 they are $0.96 each and in 100 they are $0.88

Julia

PS2’s are picky with their media, but the ability to read DVD+R media in general is also based on which version of the PS2 you have.

I use the same process as you - rip, process with DVD2One and burn, except on a Sony DRU-500A. I’ve used a variety of media: Ritek DVD+R, Generic DVD-R, DVD-ON DVD-R, DVD-Pro DVD-R without problems on backed-up DVD’s.

Here’s some info I’ve collected:

Serial Number on rear of machine begins with:

version 1 = serial number (refer to yellow rectangle in right of image) start with “U1” and has 10 case screws.

version 2 = serial number (refer to yellow rectangle in right of image) start with “U0” and has 10 case screws.

version 3 = serial number (refer to yellow rectangle in right of image) start with “U2” and has 10 case screws.

version 4 = serial number (refer to yellow rectangle in right of image) start with ‘U3’ ‘U4’ ‘U5’ or a ‘U6’ and has a total of 8 case screws.

version 5 = model number contains the letter ‘R’ (refer to the red rectangle in right side of image) at the end (example SCPH-30001 R).

version 7 = 3900X is the new PS2 Version 7

Once you have esatblished what version you have, examine the limitations using this chart:

Version 1 - Basic playstation 1&2 Games no dvd-r,dvd-rw compatability, NO DVD+R, NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY

Version 2 - Basic playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r,dvd-rw compatability, NO DVD+R, NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY

Version 3 - Basic playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r, compatability, NO DVD+R, NO DVD-RW,NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY

Version 4 - Basic playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r compatability, NO DVD-RW, NO DVD+R, NO DVD+RW COMPATABILITY

Version 5 - Basic playstation 1&2 Games dvd-r compatability, MILD DVD-RW, MILD DVD+R, MILD DVD+RW COMPATABILITY

SECOND GENERATION PS2
VERSION 7 - (SECOND GENERATION PS2) Basic playstation 1&2 Games DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-R,DVD+RW compatability

Phuocle
You are incorrect, I have successfully booted all versions of PS2 with movies recorded on DVD-+R/W I currently own all versions of PS2s because I repair the lasers, and mod them and they will boot all formats of DVD-+R/W the secret is in the brand and quality of media…

Then I stand corrected - like I said, I’ve collected this info off the web and it seemed pretty reliable to me. I have the version 7 of the PS2 and haven’t have any problems (knock on wood).

i cant play any dvd-rw on my messiah 1 modded V4