Back up back ups IMPOSSIBLE NOW

vbimport

Hi guys :smiley:

I have tried getting someone to know what to do with this problem all over the place but without success:sad:
I hope someone in here has perhaps had the same problem and fixed it.

The problem is that I am unable to backup my own backups (DVD).
I can back up a dvd, and play it etc no problem, but I cannot backup the backup without getting this error :-

Scheduler OJ:/Video-TS/VTS_01_3.VOB:23:Read Error TC Sector Reader TCE.

Always the same read error but in diffrent places.(sometimes 30% sometimes 90% etc).

THIS GETS WEIRDER !!! (bear with me)

I have tried reading and writing the dvd with,CLONE DVD, ANY DVD,DVD Decrypter,DVD shrink, DVD fab, DVDx,Clone dvd (Not elby), Nero but all get the same error burnin the back up of the backup!!
I have tried various media, and even tried media that i used to use no problem but it dosnt work. I did back up back ups no problem before and have no idea why i cant anymore.
I have tried NEC 1300 drive and am now using Pioneer Drive and the same read error whatever???

Finally, I have even reinstalled windows and only installed two programs, (to see if it was a software clash), and it still gave the same error. I still had other particians but formatted and reinstalled “c” where windows xp proffesional is installed.

Has anybody any idea what is happening???
I would be delighted if someone can help me resolve this issue.If nobody can but has read this far, then thanks for trying mate :iagree:

have you already tried to use copy CD/DVD function within
NERO? (disable AnyDVD when trying)

Originally posted by frisk
have you already tried to use copy CD/DVD function within
NERO? (disable AnyDVD when trying)

Yes I have tried Using nero with any dvd disabled, including the longer “recode” and still the same error :frowning:

Why don’t you just use the orignal!!! or do you not have it anymore :wink: (rental, borrowed from friend) This sounds like pirating to me. And I don’t think they like this hear. I will appogize now if this is not the case. But I don’t see why you can’t use the original again.

Originally posted by Vicmonster
Why don’t you just use the orignal!!! or do you not have it anymore :wink: (rental, borrowed from friend) This sounds like pirating to me. And I don’t think they like this hear. I will appogize now if this is not the case. But I don’t see why you can’t use the original again.

It is true that i could backup the original again but that does not however explain why i cannot backup a backup which is what is perplexing me.
The reason it bugs me so much is that nobody can explain why this should be the case.
I have infact backed up the original again just to see if it did and ofcourse it did,BUT why does it not back up the back up???
That is what is weird.
:confused:

@daxterous

don’t encode the copy again

do a full “cd/dvd copy” using nero burning Rom

Do you have the problem only with one movie or with all your
copies?

Did you make the backups with CloneDVD?

You could use the “Write Existing Data” button and chose the Video_TS directory on the backup. No need to transcode it again.

Hello again :slight_smile:
I must admit, I read the last two replies and thought , yes, i have done all that before and to be honest I was sure that i had.
However, i thought why not just try it again,Use Nero and just do straight copy making sure any dvd is off.
I have tested this with a few dvd’s and much to my suprise they would have all worked !!!

I didnt need to actually write them , i just wanted to know that i could back up the backup,(ie: not get a read error when making an image.)
Interestingly if i try to back up the backup with clone dvd (elby) then i still get the read error.
I looked in nero options and ticked (ignore read error) and perhaps that is the difference???.
I am currently doing an actual write of another i just "experimented " with and if it works in my dvd player I will be pleased as can be.
So thankyou so much for taking the trouble to reply to my dilemma, which seems to be resolved :smiley:
Just as a matter of interest???Why does clone dvd not copy its own copies, and give the aforementioned read error???

What immediately leapt into my mind was poor media. We are intent on buying cost effective media but if the strategic aim is to back up precious originals … why use cheap crap {to quote alexnoe}?

My opinion is that backing up a backup is irrelevant unless there’s a bit of science involved and a true philosophical discussion ensues. Maybe elby doesn’t really care and therefore makes no allowance in the transcoding or VOB engines (despite transcoding itself being irrelevant from a backup). If the VOB engine can do its job as advertised, first time, does it matter a rat’s bum?

ahead may have considered this and included further relaxtions in the VOB engine - who knows unless gor or someone from ahead tells us :wink:

daxterous,

I wouldn’t trust copies made with the “ignore read error” set.

I’ve had problems from time to time with DVD backups that cannot be read, whether made with CloneDVD, DVD Shrink, etc.

Here’s what I normally do:

1. Generate the back up DVD files to the hard drive.

2. Burn the DVD (usually I use Memorex/RichoJPN DVD+Rs) at 4X speed.

3. I use QuickSFV to read all the files in the VIDEO_TS folder FROM THE DVD+R backup, and save the .SFV to the directory where the backup files were generated in step 1.

4. I use QuickSFV in that directory to verify that all those files match those on the DVD+R. If they do, then it burned fine and I get rid of the files on the hard drive.

I’m a little cautious about data verification…I’ve gotten burned before, eliminating the source and then finding out the backup was bad.

Well, following this procedure, I’ve had QuickSFV error out on some DVD backups when trying to create the .SFV file, stating that the DVD cannot be read. Reading the DVD backup in any drive errors out, and on standalone DVD players, I will get video corruption at the same spot.

My conclusion? For some reason, either the DVD recorder (Optorite DD0203) or the media failed me on that particular burn, making the burn too “light” to be read reliably.

I’ve read that lowering the burn speed will usually solve this, since the laser spends more time in contact while burning each sector…

daxterous
Had the same problem as you before.
Use anydvd and cloneDVD to rip to hd.
Then burn with copytodvd instead of clonedvd.
After using copytodvd to burn I always can make another copy of my backup.

hope this helps.

(have not tryed clonedvd since 2.0.4.1 because find above to work so good, but maybee I should try again with this new 2.0.7.3 version of CloneDVD)

Originally posted by kunolobo
[B]daxterous
Had the same problem as you before.
Use anydvd and cloneDVD to rip to hd.
Then burn with copytodvd instead of clonedvd.
After using copytodvd to burn I always can make another copy of my backup.

hope this helps.

(have not tryed clonedvd since 2.0.4.1 because find above to work so good, but maybee I should try again with this new 2.0.7.3 version of CloneDVD) [/B]

I now use the latest 2.0.7.3 and Any Dvd, (the perfect combination), and as long as i switch off any dvd it lets me do a backup of a backup if i want. So all seems to be well again. But thanks for the help :iagree: