Back after a long absence

I have not posted here in quite some time and I also havent kept abreast of all the changes in dvd burners and dvd roms.

I tried reading thru all the forums and stickies but I kept getting my mind all twisted. Basically, I would like to know what burner should i get to replace my NEC 3500 and which dvd rom to replace my liteon 169ps for ripping.

Also, which manufacturers/brands should I follow? I have people asking me advice for building new systems and I am at a loss as to what to recommend.

I would recommend a liteon dvd-rw to be used a as reader and a scanner, and a pionner or optiarc (is you can find one that has a nec chipset) as the main burner.

Can you point me to a link where they discuss how to identify the NEC chipset/models??
I honestly dont know where to start here… so many posts. Man…I’ve been out of this game too long. Look at my sig…I’m still using that stuff… heh heh.

[QUOTE=karelj;2205803]Can you point me to a link where they discuss how to identify the NEC chipset/models??[/QUOTE]
That’s the easy part, 520A 5200S (no dvd-ram support) and the 7200A or S 7201A or S (Has lightscribe) 7203A or S (has labelflash), A for ATAPI and S for SATA.

[QUOTE=karelj;2205803]I honestly dont know where to start here… so many posts. Man…I’ve been out of this game too long. Look at my sig…I’m still using that stuff… heh heh.[/QUOTE]

Well first see what drives you can find near you, and then check the results thread of the drive that you want to buy.

The 3500 was a great drive, and it still burns great on TY media (those -/+R 8x).