Azul 99 minute CD-R: real or fake RiTEK media?

I bought some Azul 99 minute CD-Rs a while back, and CDSpeed can’t identify the manufacturer, but Lite-On’s SmartBurn utility identifies them as RiTEK media. I think I’ve heard of media with faked MIDs being sold under this brand name, so I want to know for sure whether this is really made by RiTEK or not. I’ll admit I don’t know where I’m supposed to be looking for the manufacturer’s code(s), so here are all the codes I can see on the disk…

Reflective text just outside the hub: CDR99M3A03 1042#
Imprinted on the hub: 017
Printed on the hub in white ink: 02

Maybe a scan of the hub and surrounding area will help with the identification?

Hi xx521xx,
these CD-Rs were definitely not made by Ritek.
Could you post us a screenshot from CDSpeed (“Disc Info” tab)?

Alright, thanks for the info. Here’s a screenshot…

[QUOTE=xx521xx;2276589]Alright, thanks for the info. Here’s a screenshot…[/QUOTE]

These media were made by Proper Solutions Pte. Ltd, a rather small company which does not exist any longer.

EDIT: the media from the same manufacturer (branded as “eBlue Ultra Extention CD-R 100 Minutes”) were reviewed some time ago here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/cdfreaks-first-look-eblue-ultra-extention-cd-r-100-minutes-217537/
According to the posted results your Azuls should be of decent/usable quality.

Oh, that makes sense! The spindle packaging mentions proper-solutions.net on it. :wink: So does the ATIP belong to Proper Solutions (and is misidentified by Lite-On), or is it a faked Ritek/other ATIP? I can’t find much info about it…

Results with these disks are decent when burned with my AD-7200S, but the drive only supports burning up to ~93 minutes. Meanwhile, my Lite-On drives (minus iHAP322 which I haven’t tested yet) can burn the full 99 minutes, but results are usually terrible. :rolleyes: Oh well.

[QUOTE=xx521xx;2276613]Oh, that makes sense! The spindle packaging mentions proper-solutions.net on it. :wink: So does the ATIP belong to Proper Solutions (and is misidentified by Lite-On), or is it a faked Ritek/other ATIP? I can’t find much info about it…

Results with these disks are decent when burned with my AD-7200S, but the drive only supports burning up to ~93 minutes. Meanwhile, my Lite-On drives (minus iHAP322 which I haven’t tested yet) can burn the full 99 minutes, but results are usually terrible. :rolleyes: Oh well.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK this ATIP is not assigned to any manufacturer. Smartburn identifies it as Ritek probably because Ritek was known for using illegal/testing ATIP codes (for example 97:10.00 for CD-RWs) in the past.