AWFUL QUALITY scans with NEW GH22NP20 Verbatim Dvd+R

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GH22NP20, Black. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello; I’ve read a recent GH22LP20 review and I am getting very different results when burning Verbatim DVD+R 16x.
First of all, the drive in the comparison is the Lightscribe-capable model (GH22LP20), and the one I used was GH22NP (not lightscribe capable). I did not expect to see so many differences between both models as I saw in DVD+R quality.
Secondly, the drive was bought the day before starting these tests, and before that I flashed the drive with the latest firmware (1.04).
Finally, the discs were quality-scanned in a quite old but still working Pioner DVR-109 1.58, because the Lg drive is not able to do this.

The results are in the attachments. 16x , 12x and 4x recording speed. Media Dvd+r 16x Verbatim
The one I recorded at 12x speed had continuous buffer underrun because I had just installed it and I hadn’t realized it was being recognized in PIO mode. Solved it before recording the others.
Comments: At least too much P2 in all of them. It seems 12x is the best one, despite buffer underruns. It’s said that quality scans are very reader-dependant and that they are only useful to see what is the best speed. But I’m worried this is not normal in a new drive.
Any comments, suggestions, questions? Do you think the drive I bought could have problems worrying enough to send it for replacement? Should I try with another kind/brand of media? Should I scan with another drive??
Thx

Hi,

you can’t trust any scans made with a Pioneer drive (That’s why scanning support for Pioneer drives has been removed from later versions of CD/DVD Speed.)
Do a transfer rate test instead. The reading curve must be smooth without speed drops.

Michael

Hello. Ok, thx. I think ASAP, I’ll try to quality-scan the discs with another Philips SPD2400.
I’ve done several read scans, following your advice. The Pioneer DVR-109 seems to provide really annoying read curves, with spikes and falls. However, these results don’t appear when I do read scans with other drives (like the GH22NP20 I bought, or an old reader Matshita DVD-rom SR-8585 IW32). Therefore, I think there could be some problem with the Pioneer Drive: When it reaches 2,85 Gb position, speed drops significantly. I think I’ll post this problem in the pioneer forum.
But, anyway, I have several questions:
1.- Do you think that the quality scans imply, despite their faults, that the best recording speed for this drive and this media is 12x? Or are these scaning results to be completely discarded? I mean, maybe their first part (0-2,5Gb) can be compared.
2.- Do you think that having continuous buffer underrun could affect positively or negatively the quality? I’ve searched the forum, and it seems it doesn’t; but in this situation, the one I recorded with continuous bufer underruns seems to have better quality than the others. Is it the speed, or is it the buffer underrun?
3.- Using the old Nero 6 with a new drive doesn’t affect quality, does it?

Attachments: Discs recorded at 16x, 12x and 4x scanned with the DVR-109 drive; and disc recorded at 4x scanned with the new Lg drive (other scans are really similar to this).

Thx vry much!!

Hi,[QUOTE=Torero_boy;2413523]Hello. Ok, thx. I think ASAP, I’ll try to quality-scan the discs with another Philips SPD2400.[/quote]Yes, scanning these discs with a Liteon drive is the better option.

I’ve done several read scans,(…) Therefore, I think there could be some problem with the Pioneer Drive: When it reaches 2,85 Gb position, speed drops significantly.
That’s no impossible. You may try other discs, including factory pressed discs in good condition. If there is the same behaviour, then you know, there is something wrong with the drive.
I think I’ll post this problem in the pioneer forum.
Good idea :slight_smile:

But, anyway, I have several questions:
1.- Do you think that the quality scans imply, despite their faults, that the best recording speed for this drive and this media is 12x? Or are these scaning results to be completely discarded? I mean, maybe their first part (0-2,5Gb) can be compared.
At the moment, I would consider the results as not sufficient to judge about the quality of these discs.

2.- Do you think that having continuous buffer underrun could affect positively or negatively the quality?
Buffer underruns may (but need not necessarily) affect the quality in a negative manner.

3.- Using the old Nero 6 with a new drive doesn’t affect quality, does it?
The burning software normally has no influence on the quality (unless the software is buggy). Optionally, you can try ImgBurn.

Michael

[QUOTE=Torero_boy;2410453][qanda]This thread is about the LG GH22NP20, Black. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello; I’ve read a recent GH22LP20 review and I am getting very different results when burning Verbatim DVD+R 16x.
First of all, the drive in the comparison is the Lightscribe-capable model (GH22LP20), and the one I used was GH22NP (not lightscribe capable). I did not expect to see so many differences between both models as I saw in DVD+R quality.
Secondly, the drive was bought the day before starting these tests, and before that I flashed the drive with the latest firmware (1.04).[/QUOTE]
Hi Torero_boy – I just purchased the GH22NP20 as a replacement for a now defunct unit that came with my ancient Dell. I noticed that you mentioned that you flashed with firmware 1.04 – LG’s site lists only 1.03. Would you have a link to the latest for me? Thanks!

Edit: I found the link. Thanks anyway.

Here’s the link: http://www.lge.com/us/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=GH22NP20&initialTab=documents&targetPage=support-product-profile

[QUOTE=mciahel;2410465]
you can’t trust any scans made with a Pioneer drive (That’s why scanning support for Pioneer drives has been removed from later versions of CD/DVD Speed.)
[/QUOTE]
Actually, it was removed because Pioneer asked Nero to remove it and Nero told me to remove it.
Pioneer scanning is pretty accurate although there are some speed issues.
But if you have a LiteOn drive (or clone) to scan with there is no reason to use the Pioneer for scanning unless you want to see how the disc behaves in different drives.

Hello, and thanks. I’ve made several scans with the Phillips spd2400 drive, which is in good condition and seems to be a LiteOn SHW-1635S, at max speed and at 8x speed. I’m posting them in the attachments. I think we can get two conclusions, though I know I should do more testing:
First, the best recording speed for Verbatim DVD+R 16x in this drive seems to be 16x; 4x being much worse.
Second, the quality results I get with this drive, this media and this quality-scanner drive are still not very good: PIE low, PIF medium-high. Maybe I should try another media.
Scan results: Disc recorded at 16x (scan at max and at 8x), 12x (scan at max and at 8x), 4x (scan at 8x).
Thx