AVIs crash Nero Showtime

I’ve had this problem before and managed to solve it, but what I think I did then doesn’t seem to work now.

When I try to play an AVI file with Nero Showtime, it simply exits without playing the file. All my other players play the AVIs fine (I’ve tried several AVI files, and several players – VLC, MPC, WMPv11, and of course Showtime).

AFAIR, last time the problem was a missing codec, and the answer then was to install K-Lite codec pack (which fixed it immediately). That hasn’t solved the problem this time, though.

I’m running XP Pro SP2, and Nero Showtime 1.5.0.4. I’ve just had to replace my hard drive and re-install Windows (which I’ve done several times before, so I know my way around it reasonably well). This problem MAY have something to do with WMPv11 – I’m almost sure that NST was playing OK on the current install before I upgraded WMPv9 to v11, but I couldn’t swear to it.

What am I doing wrong?

[QUOTE=AntonM;2214216]I’ve had this problem before and managed to solve it, but what I think I did then doesn’t seem to work now.

When I try to play an AVI file with Nero Showtime, it simply exits without playing the file. All my other players play the AVIs fine (I’ve tried several AVI files, and several players – VLC, MPC, WMPv11, and of course Showtime).

AFAIR, last time the problem was a missing codec, and the answer then was to install K-Lite codec pack (which fixed it immediately). That hasn’t solved the problem this time, though.

I’m running XP Pro SP2, and Nero Showtime 1.5.0.4. I’ve just had to replace my hard drive and re-install Windows (which I’ve done several times before, so I know my way around it reasonably well). This problem MAY have something to do with WMPv11 – I’m almost sure that NST was playing OK on the current install before I upgraded WMPv9 to v11, but I couldn’t swear to it. Also corrupted media can also lock your computer cause it will try and try to play the file that is why some people experience their computer freezing trying to play a media file. At that point delete that file and find a better file or reencode a better working file from the source.

What am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

Update your XP to SP3 and make sure your Nero is latest updated as well. Then next if that is the only one Avi that doesn’t play well on any players. Then it is most likely corrupt avi file. Or else you you need some other codec that isn’t available in Nero to play that file. WMP 11 has nothing to do with avi other then playing them. You should also make sure WMP 11 is updated as well. But last if the file doesn’t play and you hear it and no video that is a clear indications the avi or media files is corrupted or improperly coded and is no good.

Could be a codec, could be the file is slightly corrupt (some players may be able to play slightly corrupt files but perhaps this one is giving nero showtime too much trouble). Nero showtime may be corrupt too (I have used it for years on several computers, and sometimes it does get corrupt). If it only does it with one particular video file, just play it on something else. If its doing it with several files, check with gspot to see if the codec is installed. If it is, try the files in other players. if they all play fine, update nero. If you still have the problem, uninstall nero, run the clean tool and reinstall.