Avi2Dvd: Quenc vs FreeEnc vs NuEnc vs HCEnc

vbimport

Hi at all,

At the Avi2Dvd 0.2.6, what is the best encoder to use when you are going to finish your movie?

I use now the QuEnc but i didnt try the FreeEnc, NuEnc and HCEnc.
From the above encoders, what choise is the best?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t they all libavcodec based encoders? Therefore they share a common parentage. I wouldn’t expect huge differences in speed or quality, but confess I haven’t tried them all. :wink:

HCEnc is not a Libavcodec based encoder. It was written from scratch.

Quenc, Freenc, and Nuenc are.

I Like HCEnc. It’s slower than Quenc but has better quality IMHO. The author wrote it from scratch using Fortran. It’s pretty impressive considering that he did it all by himself. Hopefully the future versions will have better performance.

Quenc isn’t bad either. It’s good enough for most jobs and is faster than HCEnc. I don’t know too much about Freenc or Nuenc since I’ve never used them. But I do agree with Fritzi93 that they are probably no different than Quenc since they are also based on the Libavcodec.

All of the encoders above can also beat CCE quality with the right tweaks.

If you would like to know more about them I’d suggest going to the Doom9 forums. They can give you better explanations.

I hope this helps.

Thank you all. Big help for me :slight_smile:

Thanks, I stand corrected. :stuck_out_tongue:

i think Quenc is average all around and HQenc is a sloth.

i LOVE FreeEnc (by far the fastest),

i just tested Nuenc tonight and its just too damn slow, Freeencoder Rocks :stuck_out_tongue:

NuEnc is slow, but it has the best quality

Well since the last time the so-called "this vs that vs other one " was performed,was over three years ago,we’ll have to take your word for it…:smiley: