AVI to SVCD problem

Forgive me for being a novice, but here’s my problem:

I transferred an 80 minute family movie from my camcorder to my PC and it is 42Gb! It is stored in AVI format. Basically, all I want to do is transfer this to SVCD to watch on TV via our DVD player.

Can anyone let me know what I need to do? After reading loads of sites, I am now completely confused!

Cheers:confused:

you just need to read a bit further.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=66&s=

Thanks for the link. I found the tutorial on burning AVI’s to VCD’s and it was extremely helpful. However, what about AVI’s to SVCD’s? I cannot find anything relating to that. I assume the quality is significantly different between VCD and SVCD?

Most of the tools in the tutorials will make VCD, SVCD, or DVD.

This is the AVI to SVCD Tute you need to follow http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59489

hi again

thanks for all your help, it has been very useful. i think i know what i am doing now!

one last question, when using TMPGEnc, is there a way of telling it to ignore errors? i.e. last night I left a video encoding and when i got up this morning it had failed at 95% and bombed out. i checked the original avi and it failed because the screen went a bit fuzzy for about 5 seconds, it seems crazy that the whole of the film failed for a small problem. any ideas how to tell TMPGEnc to ignore this and carry on? i am eager to test my first conversion!

cheers again

No, TMPGEnc will bomb out when it hits an error. Try fixing the AVI first, DivFix and DivXRepair can fix many avi’s.

Hey ChickenMan, just tried DIVXRepair on my problem AVI’s and it reports an error and stops righ away.
“Bad Frame Report from DivxRepair”

It also reported some “hacked DIVX codecs” when I first launched it.

The “hacked divx codec” it referes to is the original DivX 3.11 codec which was a hacked M$ codec.

If DivXRepair bombs out and cant fix the avi, what chance do you recon CCE has in encoding it then. Have you tried DivFix also ?

Have you tried DivFix also ?

It bombs out with “I/O errer 131”

Pinnacle swears that their AVI is good, and it is as long as you use it in Studio8. I’ve yet to hear if anyone else is getting them to work in other programs.
But converting to another AVI format is a real pain, takes most of a day. :frowning: But here’s no way to compress an MPEG in Studio without ruining the quality.
Using TMPGEnc to convert seems to work much better. Using studio8 to encode as MPEG with a high quality bitrate makes a good quality video, but Shrink will not open the files once that MPEG is encoded to DVD by MPGEnc-author. So far, the only thing that’s been successful is using Studio8 to compress to crappy quality DVD files, and of course it won’t let you create more than 60 min of high-quality DVD video, so I can’t find any way to created a nice large high-quality DVD-video that Shrink can compress. It’s all very confusing.