.avi to mpeg2

I’m assuming this question has been asked and answered a million times so feel free to direct me to an old thread…

What’s the best (free) program to convert .avi to mpeg2?

You understand of course, that is like asking what is the best beer, or car, or motorcycle. You will get many different answers. The best one, is the one you feel comfortable using.
Windows Movie Maker, AVI2DVD, VirtualDubMOD, FAVC, Convertx2dvd (not quite free, but close), and many many more. Or, you can watch the deals web sites, and pick up programs such as Adobe Premiere Elements or Vegas Movie Studio for as low as $39.00 after rebates, and get very good all in one programs.

Start with Windows Movie Maker, which is free, and should be on almost every Microsoft OS, and see how it works for you. If you like it, use it. If not, try some of the others listed.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2195709]You understand of course, that is like asking what is the best beer, or car, or motorcycle. You will get many different answers.[/QUOTE]

lol, of course. I’m new here! I’ll learn to be more specific as I learn more about this stuff.

So as a follow-up question, In movie maker when publishing a movie, there are several different options:

DV-AVI (NTSC)
Windows Media DVD quality (3.0 Mbps)
Windows Media DVD Widescreen Quality (3.0 Mbps)
Windows Media HD 720p (5.9 Mbps)
Windows Media HD 1080p (7.8 Mbps)
Windows Media Low Bandwidth (117 kbps)

What’s the difference between all of these? Maybe someone could give me a very basic breakdown?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me learn:)

If you are converting for use in a standard DVD player, then you would choose Windows Media DVD quality (3.0 Mbps) or Windows Media DVD Widescreen Quality (3.0 Mbps). You will have to experiment to see which works best for you. The “HD” formats would only be for use in a Blu-Ray player.

If they are for PC use, then I wouldn’t convert them at all. Any conversion will reduce quality.