AVI to DVDr - Freezing on Pioneer 525

Hi all,

Been converting AVI (DiVX/XVID) to DVDr for some time now and when it works it is a really great way for adding AVI functionality to your standalone if you can be bothered to wait 4-10hours depending on your CPU

That aside I have seen very sporadic results on my Pioneer 525 standalone player (quite an oldie but goldie model), sometimes (usually with 1 disc AVI films) after the authoring/burning is complete I put the movie in the player and it freezes or locks up after a second of play. For the first time the other day it did this on a 2 disc AVI which is a first.

The guide I have been using is Chickenman’s

And have followed all steps religiously and cannot figure out what the problem is?

N.B. All audio files have been converted to AC3

Thanks,

A.

1 disk or 2 disk AVI, the method is the same except the joining bit.

Many of the early Pioneer DVD players have dvdr playing problems. I dont have one but a mate does.

How the dvdr is Authored, how it was burnt and speed & media used all reflect playback. All I can suggest is to start at the back and work forward, that is change your media brand (remember Princo made stuff comes under many names) and try 2x if you use 4x or 4x if using 2x. When burning with Nero, try the UDF option only and also change the UDF version from the 1.02 to the 1.5 or the 2.0), Also try the DVD-Video option. If none of these work for you, try SpruceUp, Maestro, DVDLab, IFOEdit etc to author insead of TMPGEnc DVD Author.

With these sensitive players, you have to keep trying until you find the right combination that works for you.

Thanks Chickenman for your prompt response, however I am pretty sure I have gone over most of these ideas.

My player is happy with all media I have thrown at it (in this case I have burnt all movies with choice dvdr and all discs that lockup work perfectly on more recent Pioneer models)

This error is not unknown and I have seen this with other people, I fear the issue is a compatibility based.

The movie works fine on my father’s Pioneer (Pioneer 444) standalone and does not work on my friend’s (Pioneer 525)

I am going to try a MAX Average bitrate of 4500 as a friend said this solved his problem. If this is indeed true then perhaps your guide is not 100% compatible with all players! gulp

A.

Originally posted by chinster
[B]I am going to try a MAX Average bitrate of 4500 as a friend said this solved his problem. If this is indeed true then perhaps your guide is not 100% compatible with all players! gulp

A. [/B]

100% copatable, no guide will ever give you that as there are just so many different DVD players out there. All I can do is base it on my own experiances and since I dont have available that many DVD players to test on, I cant fine tune it for every player. If I can get 95+% players then I would be happy. Your in that 5% :frowning:

Your fiends suggestion could help, I would also try moving the minimum bitrate up to 1500 also, that would do more than moving the MAX bitrate down.