AVI to DVD won't play

I wanted to convert an AVI to DVD format so I used AVI2DVD, it seemed to work just fine, but when I went to play it on my DVD I got the following erroe

DISK ERROR
Please edject Disk
Playback feature may not available on this disk

What went wrong and how do I fix it?

Please start by giving us more useful info like what exact media were used (MID/mediacode), what burning app and what standalone??

Stand alone DVD:
Magnavox DVD/VCR Player MWD2205
Sony DVP-NS300

Burner:
HP Lightscribe DVD +/- Writter/CD Writter.

Media used:
HP Light scribe

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-003-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [003]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Memorex

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R03-004]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [R03]
Product Revision : [004]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

If you’re trying to play it in the Magnavox, according to this link at videohelp.com it doesn’t play dvd+r. Your burner may support bitsetting, may want to look into that or try dvd-r.

Funny thing though, I’ve backed up some movies that I have on the same media and they play just fine. Here is the info on one such backup.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R03-004]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [R03]
Product Revision : [004]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

As pointed out before, you are using +R media so you should try to set the booktype to DVD-ROM.

OK, I tried the “change the bitsetting” trick, but here’s something I don’t understand. My Burner is a “HP Lightscribe DVD +/- Writter/CD Writter 640c”, and I checked to see who made it and I was told Liteon. Now when I went into DVD Decryter and picked on liteon as the burner type, then the “Change For” selection to "Drive (For DVD+R Media),
the “Current Settings:” was “Unknown (Failed)” and the “New Settings” was grayed out. I kept trying others and found that if I selected the “BG” tab, it all worked! My question, is the HP drive a BG or not, how can I tell? Well anyway I selected BG and changed the Booktype and burn’t the iso file and tried playing it on the Sony player and I got this message, “playback prohibited due to area type” or something like that. Now what?

P.S. Did I mentionthat the DVD plays great on the computer.

[B]Wrong region(code)[/B] for your player on the media.

What is the region code for the USA, or where can I find info on this.

Incorrect, it’s a BenQ 1625. If you can’t change the settings using the BenQ tab, then perhaps you can crossflash the drive to the latest 1625 firmware using BQFlasher. Then you could download BenQ QSuite and permanently change the booktype for DVD+R to DVD-ROM for all applications, so you’ll never burn an incompatible disc again. Head over to the BenQ forum for more info.

The “wrong region” on Sony DVD players is typically not from an incorrect region code, but that you are trying to play PAL video on an NTSC player. Try setting whatever program you converted the avi with to force NTSC, not “Auto”.

region code for USA/Canada is 1

I finally found out that it was the way AVI2DVD preformed, that was giving me the problem. I used some software that I didn’t even know that I had and it worked great. The new software is InterVideo WinDVD Creator. Thanks everyone for your input, this thread is now closed.

A good end.