AVI to DVD with DIVXTODVD... Crash

vbimport

OK, I’ve very new to this, so appologies in advance if I’m asking this question for the ummteenth time.

I have numerous MiniDV home movies I’m attempting to burn to DVD-Video.

In my first test, I successfully created a playable DVD using the following: Camcorder to AVI via Pinnacle Studio version 7, AVI to MPEG2 (combined audio & video) also via Studio, MPEG2 to DVD-Video format files via DIVXTODVD, burn via Nero. The video looks very choppy if the camera wasn’t on a tripod, so I wondered if it was due to the multiple conversions.

I thought I’d attempt to use DIVXTODVD to convert directly from AVI. In each attempt, the software crashed. Attached below is the CRASH.LOG. Any thoughts? (No, I haven’t approached VSO-Software yet).

Thanks!

error Frame #23: decoder exception [Invalid floating point operation]. Discarding the packet.
error Frame #23: decoder exception [Invalid floating point operation]. Discarding the packet.
error Frame #21: decoder exception [Invalid floating point operation]. Discarding the packet.
error Frame #19: decoder exception [Invalid floating point operation]. Discarding the packet.
error Frame #17: decoder exception [Invalid floating point operation]. Discarding the packet.
error Frame #17: decoder exception [Invalid floating point operation]. Discarding the packet.
error Frame #8: decoder exception [Invalid floating point operation]. Discarding the packet.
info MSG Level #0 - rc buffer underflow
info Output Stream#1 - Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
info Output Stream#0 - Video: mpeg2video, 720x480, 29.97 fps, q=2-31, 8807 kb/s
info Stream #0.1 --> #0.1
info Stream #0.0 --> #0.0
info Stream mapping
info Set Avg. video bitrate 8807.0 kb/s
info Segment #1 - Christmas 2001.avi
info 1 file(s) to convert - Total Time 00:03:47
info NTSC 29.97 FPS output format has been selected
info 4:3 automatically selected
info conversion started
info Delay of audio #0 = 966 mS
info Computed Frame Aspect Ratio : 1.5000
info Stream#1 - Audio: pcm_s16le, 48000 Hz, stereo, 1536 kb/s
info Stream#0 - Video: dvvideo, 720x480, 29.97 fps
info Found 2 Stream(s) - movie duration 00:03:47.260
info Input file “D:\Captured Video\Christmas 2001.avi”
info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
info Version 0.4.2.71
info ExeName : “C:\Program Files\vso\DivxToDVD\DivxToDVD.exe”
info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

I get this with DivxToDVD also, it looks like it wont support the format of the video, I would try encoding it to DivX with VirtualDub first, and then converting it with DivxToDVD, however this may make the choppy problem worse (remember that each time you re-compress video it will lose quality), so idealy I would try to re-capture the video, export to avi, and edit it only once with whatever editing program, and save it to DivX AVI, convert it to dvd with “dvdSanta” ($30), it sounds very n00bish, but it really does work very well, and is faster (around real-time encoding).

Ben :slight_smile:

PecFactor, why not just burn to DVD format in Studio instead of that extra stage?
(Studio 8 allows that, doesn’t 7?)

I don’t think dvdsanta is faster, as it uses the same mpeg2 encoding than divxtodvd, about the crash… well we just need to find a sample of this file format.
also . you are not using the latest version of divxtodvd. ( there is a 0.4.5 )

lapinou, are you telling us DivXToDVD uses the same ‘encoding engine’ as DVDSanta? OR are you simply refering to it being the same encode format? e.g. MPEG2 in general.

I find DivXToDVD is at least 0.5x faster than DVDSanta (which tends to encode at 1x real-time) AND also DVDSanta has TERRIBLE encode output quality.

Now you have got me worried about the quality of DivXToDVD if it uses the ‘same encoder’!

:cop: Also, @ bcn_246, recommending an extra stage of conversion simply to be able to use DivXToDVD to get DVD files is absolutely ridiculuous! :cop:

:cop: :cop: (bad advice @ a noob as well - double-cop ya!) :cop: :cop:

DivXToDVD IS NOT the application for this task…

Most applications which capture in DV format offer the ability to author a DVD, as does Pinnacle Studio (ver8). Even if the version PecFactor has (ver7) didn’t offer DVD authoring, its MPEG-2 output is likely to be in DVD MPEG-2 format anyway (unless the MPEG2 output resolution settings were specifically changed).

That MPEG2 (from Pinnacle) simply needs authoring, during which the MPEG2 data is [re]plexed into a DVD file format (e.g. VOB) - no further compression or re-encode is required.

There are other tools for this entire DV to DVD process; Studio 8/Expression, WinDVD-Creator, MovieFactory etc.

If PecFactor is stuck with an MPEG2 file with the tools at hand (e.g. using Studio 7) there are other tools dedicated to authoring a DVD taking that MPEG2 file as input.

Some of these are indeed just as free as DivXToDVD. :wink:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVDAuthorgui
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=GUI_for_dvdauthor

As an aside, if DivXToDVD could directly ‘convert’ DV format (@VSO borrow a digital DV camcorder if you are serious about file format examples!) then it could become a viable solution along with the others. :iagree: