AVI Problems (Pioneer DVR-550H-S)

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-550H-S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi.
Has something changed recently? I used to be able to play virtually any downloaded AVI file on my DivX player (Pioneer 550H). Nowadays it seems more files than not simply won’t play or will play with sound but no picture.
Anybody else experiencing this? Any suggestions?
Thx.

Have you changed the brand/type/batch of media you are using…
Sounds like it could be a dvd problem. But it could also be that your dvd player is wearing out as well.

First thing I would try, is using a good quality brand of dvd’s (TY or Verbatim). Then if the problem still persists, try a different program. Finally if that fails, I would suspect the dvd player…

[QUOTE=gemosley;2094751][qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-550H-S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi.
Has something changed recently? [B]I used to be able to play virtually any downloaded AVI file[/B] on my DivX player (Pioneer 550H). Nowadays it seems more files than not simply won’t play or will play with sound but no picture.
Anybody else experiencing this? Any suggestions?
Thx.[/QUOTE]

Start buying the movies…

You’d have to see how the files are encoded, and refer to your player’s documentation to see if the player can handle however the files were encoded.

Video encoding has improved over time, so if it’s an older player, some of the newer encodings may use formats the player just can’t handle, even if your getting DivX (and not .264 in a .avi package)

(if your not aware: .avi is just a package file, as is .mkv .mp4 and .ogg, the actual video encoding can be anything, from mpeg, divx, xvid, .263, .264 just to name some of the more common ones.)