AVI files: how to burn a playable disc for DVD players?

vbimport

Hi, I have some AVI files that I would like to burn for a Video CD or DVD (preferably a DVD) to play on a typical stand-alone DVD player. I usually just burn regular DVD files using CloneDVD and ImgBurn, but I don’t know if either of those will work for this. (I’d also like to put more than one file on a disc, so I don’t know how that would work either with these AVI files and multiple tracks.) I do have NERO, but at first attempt with that I was pretty confused. Another solution I’d be open to is to somehow convert the AVI files to more typical DVD file (IFO/VOB), if that way would be better.

Convert your avi’s with DVD Flick and then burn with Imgburn.

Here is a guide ~ http://club.cdfreaks.com/f59/dvd-flick-basic-guide-228005/

DVD Flick is very handy and will do the trick. Another that works great with AVI files is a program called FAVC.

Also, the beta version of DVD Flick now has a menu generator.

Agree with the knowledgeable Sr.'s here.

Dvd Flick and ImgBurn are the way to go.

moscatomg1 wrote,
“Hi, I have some AVI files that I would like to burn for a Video CD or DVD (preferably a DVD) to play on a typical stand-alone DVD player.”

If your DVD player plays avi divX/Xvid then just use IMGburn in build mode and burn, no need to convert…otherwise yeah FAVC,DVDFlick,CX2DVD etc. to convert first…:slight_smile:

if you want to add more than one avi file to a disc …try using multisessions :wink:

I’m trying DVDFlick first, as recommended…I just finished the conversion of 3 avi files to burn to a single layer DVD. Don’t know if I’ll make a habit of this whole AVI conversion thing, as it is very CPU intensive as others have mentioned and took over 3 hours. Also, I noticed that beforehand only 2 of the 3 “AVI” files would play on some of my media players. Although all the general properties said the files were exactly the same (AVI, MPEG 3, etc.). I’ll put a couple screen shots here of one of the “good” AVIs vs. one of the “bad” ones. In addition, the “bad” AVI file also seems to have given DVDFlick a bit of trouble with creating it’s own unique chapter (or title?). I also put a screen shot of that here with all the VTS files listed (the bad AVI file is apparently begins with the name VTS_03_0.BUP). But as opposed to when I played all the AVI files, now when I play the files in the VTS folder the all play fine, except for how that 3rd converted AVI file has something confusing going on with its chapter or title–I can’t skip to it, like the previous two, but I have to wait for the second main VTS file to play out. Maybe I should have tried the Beta version of DVDFlick, but the potential bugs scared me away from that. (Interesting bit: I was curious I tried to preview the VTS files with CloneDVD2, but nothing but an error message popping up on the 2nd page.) Anyway, I’ll give it a shot now with IMGburn and see how these files turn out.

If it’s making DVD Flick choke it could be a bad file to begin with. ConvertXtoDVD is faster too BTW…but it costs $$$. I recently upgraded to a quad core CPU and I can perform these tasks in about a half hour, before with my old P4 2.4 the times were usually under 2 hours.

I’ve now watched the disc I made using DVDFLICK, and I just have to say thanks for the recommendation–it worked wonderfully!

Glad you got it sorted…happy burning.

Anyone have any idea how to estimate AVI to DVD file sizes so I know how many mb’s of files I can convert for each dvd? I am using convertx to dvd

Base it on running time. DVDs generally start looking bad with more than 2.5 Hours on a single sided disk. YMMV as 2.5 hours is just my opinion, some will tell you 2 hours, some will say 3+…:iagree:

[QUOTE=moscatomg1;2038733]Don’t know if I’ll make a habit of this whole AVI conversion thing, as it is very CPU intensive as others have mentioned and took over 3 hours.[/QUOTE]

Do yourself a favor and get this DVD player: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882641222 It plays AVI (aka Divx) files from a DVD, CD, hard drive or a USB flash drive. It has a USB port for connecting a hard drive or flash drive. I have an 8 GB flash drive that I use to play AVI files on a Pioneer (DV-400) and an RCA (DRC285) DVD players. It is great and it keeps me from burning numerous DVDs and I don’t have to go through the hassles of converting the AVI files the VOB format. It you play a lot of AVI files I guarantee it will be the best $70 you ever spent on video equipment.

Thanks for the link … I love the idea of just plugging in my HDD enclosure that would be soooo sweet :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=soulmanathome;2061023]Thanks for the link … I love the idea of just plugging in my HDD enclosure that would be soooo sweet :)[/QUOTE]

A couple of things to keep in mind are most DVD players with USB ports only support hard drives formated with the FAT32 file system and they don’t deliver enough power to run a 2.5" HD. You will need an external power supply to power the HD. This is why I use a USB flash drive.

K it took me a bit of searching where I am and found one finally … here it sells for $139 + taxes… It is the Phillips DVP5982 and I hooked my 3.5" external enclosure with a 120 GB HDD and ran a gold plated USB cable to the player and wham… runs like a charm… The biggest :doh: was finding a program that would reformat the HDD to FAT32…

I have the RCA-DRC285 and yep it’s the only way to go.