Avi conversion to stream to xbox?

vbimport

hey basically im a noob when is comes to this stuff and not many ppl can give me a noob answer but here goes, i have an avi video ( have a few actualy) that i stream from pc to my xbox 360 through media sharing, all work fine on both xbox and pc exept 1 it works fine for a few seconds then bam slows down gets blocky and distorted and sounds pants aswell, i figured (probably wrong) the xbox can’t deal with the compression since it can’t seem to play home made dvd’s that have been compressed easily either.

anyway… it did that to my video so i converted it into another avi with avs video converter, video divx audio mp3 192kbps and it worked but alas quality sucked a bit, and i checked and the file downsized.

so basically i want to convert it to something to windows media player and xbox can read without being too compressed so it can actualy read it.

and btw i don’t have a clue about kbps why it matters or what is counts for.
also to put some of your minds at rest as far as i kno its not illegal just some recreational…entertainment should i say

Does the avi file in question play without issues on the computer?

You can examine the file with MediaInfo and post the specifications for us here. MediaInfo is free to download and use. I find the Tree view within it to be the most informative. http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
Might want to edit out the name of the file before posting. Once we know what you have, we will be better able to recommend how to convert it.

I use a couple of free tools to work with avi files. One is AviDemux, which can convert the file to another format if necessary. http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

This page shows necessary formats for streaming with the Xbox 360: http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/gamesandmedia/movies/videofaq/viewvideoplaybackfaq.aspx#maxBitRate

r1ft23, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Moving your thread over to the “video edit software” forum :wink:

hey sorry takes ages for response, dont check email often, yes it plays perfectly on my laptop no problems at all, i got that media info it says

Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 980 MiB
Duration : 1h 27mn
Overall bit rate : 1 566 Kbps

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : DX50
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
Duration : 1h 27mn
Bit rate : 1 236 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 3:2
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Bottom Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.143
Stream size : 774 MiB (79%)
Title : Video
Writing library : DivX 3013

no idea what most of that is, like i said i just wanna be able to stream it to xbox but without losing anymore quality if thats possible. i have avs converter already but if that avidemux is better? i will give it a bash

oh and thanks for the welcome :slight_smile: sorry for putting it in wrong place

Well, there are a couple of odd things here. You have a NTSC resolution of 720 x 480, but the frame rate is 25fps, which is not used in NTSC video. Eh…probably not a big deal since this is divx, not dvd-video.

And you are using a divx codec and have interlaced video, which I haven’t run into before.

If you want to try AVIDemux, import the file, click on Video and set it to Mpeg4-ASP (Xvid). You didn’t use the Tree view within MediaInfo, so there’s no audio info included in your last post, but you can probably just leave the Audio setting on Copy.

Format should be AVI.

The real question is will this convert ok without deinterlacing? There are deinterlacing filters included with AviDemux, and you can access them by clicking Filters once you have imported the video and set it to the Xvid codec. You can select one of the deinterlacers and click on Preview to see the effect, without having to reencode the whole thing first.

But I think I would try without first, and see if the output plays properly for you.

Edit: By the way, to start the encoding, click File–>Save–>Save Video.

ok i will try that very soon thanks for the help and i’ll let you know how i go.
as for the stuff you havnt ran into befor i couldnt tell you why its like that, just the way i got it tbh. i have another video clip of a film that isnt so extreme but just freezes (like buffering) on xbox but if the original plan works i will try it on the film aswell.

thanks again for the help! :slight_smile:

ah quick question with the mpeg 4 asp is that better quality related to the specs i posted on my vid or just best to use for all video’s? if its related to that vid how do i determine for myself which video to convert to

Xvid (which is the codec used in AviDemux for Mpeg4 ASP) is very similar to divx. Which is why I recommended it.

Many people use H264 and AAC or AC3 audio in an mp4 format. Or mkv format, but it doesn’t look like the 360 supports .mkv from that earlier link I found. In AviDemux that would be Mpeg4 AVC for video. This will give better quality at smaller file sizes than xvid or divx.

it worked! :slight_smile: thanks you very much for all your help :slight_smile:

Was it the wrong fps or the non-standard codec used?