AVG: we collect and sell browsing history of free antivirus users

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: AVG: we collect and sell browsing history of free antivirus users[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/09/myce-avg-privacy-policy1-95x75.gif[/newsimage]

The new privacy policy of antivirus vendor AVG caused uproar because it states the free version of the antivirus software will collect the browsing history of users and sell it to third parties.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/avg-we-collect-and-sell-browsing-history-of-free-antivirus-users-77342/](http://www.myce.com/news/avg-we-collect-and-sell-browsing-history-of-free-antivirus-users-77342/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I stopped using AVG many years ago. This isn’t the first time they’ve caused issues. This trend in data collection from all sorts of different companies is disturbing, and I will not be a part of it willingly.

Time for everyone to say goodbye to AVG. I’d recommend Malwarebytes over virtually any other free anti-virus, though their free version doesn’t run all the time. I’ve been running Microsoft Security Essentials, an occasional scan with the free Malwarebytes and a scan every month or two with Sophos rootkit remover, and haven’t had any infections.

At least they have the decency to tell you. Or do they? There is the usual, industry-standard, alarming lack of detail regarding what they are collecting and how it is being used. For example, AVG may delete your data on request or after a time limit, but what about their customers who bought the data?

Things like this should be opt-in only, and consent is only valid when it is informed consent.

Regarding anonymisation, if the information being passed on is kept as individual users then it can be surprisingly easy to identify the individual concerned. It is not sufficient to simply remove user names & IP addresses. If they are passing on your browsing history then there is likely to me more than enough information to identify you with reasonable precision. Include a tiny amount of location information and gotcha!

(This is why I opted-out of the government’s big NHS data project, although it has been reported that opt-outs have been ignored.)

Nobody is perfect. But this (Ghostery) seems to be a better example of how write a meaningful privacy policy. :iagree:

I also quite using AVG sometime ago .
Who knows what other software companies may collect these days.
With MS leading the charge.

I think you are naive to think that any company providing ‘free’ software is really respecting privacy in any meaningful way.

Glad MSE doesn’t do that atleast… :smiley:

^You can turn off sample submission and cloud based protection in MSE.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2760507]^You can turn off sample submission and cloud based protection in MSE.[/QUOTE]
That’s what I did after it installed went and changed my preferences. At least MSE setting shows it rather then hide it.

i would like to know, apart from the right AVG has to collect MY DATA, what right it has to SELL MY DATA! the data is mine! it should be up to me who collects it and up to me what happens to it! what would AVG personnel, particularly the top management, say if i was to tell them i was about to collect data on them and then sell it on? i doubt they wouldn’t be best pleased. at least then they would understand how we feel. if this is the excuse being used to keep a free version of AVG, the best thing to do is use something different and tell AVG to shove it’s antivirus where the Sun dont shine!!

I wouldn’t mind if AVG or any other company would just say to IE: Sly Soft, that 10,000 people visited your web site. This is if they would not release your ISP address or other like info.

So, we have anti-malware protection with spyware functions? Why then should a user install something like this, when they should be shielding themselves from it? Have we really reached an era where even the protection from malware is expected to be malicous?

Any other questions you’d like to ask?

[QUOTE=kevpc;2760544]i would like to know, apart from the right AVG has to collect MY DATA, what right it has to SELL MY DATA! the data is mine! [/QUOTE]
Like everyone else they’re just following [I][B]The Facebook Principle[/B][/I]:

[B]It’s free. Therefore you’re not the customer, you’re the product.[/B]

:iagree: