Avatar changed from animated to static

vbimport

Hi:

Added an animated .gif avatar, but it’s now static. How use animated?

Thanks in advance.

– Roy Zider

It is probably the size .

[QUOTE][Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 48 by 48 pixels or 34.6 KB (whichever is smaller). /QUOTE]

It has been reduced in size – evidently clipping out the animation. Considering the original file was only 4 KB, but 70x60x4bpp, it seems a bit strange to me. At today’s prices for raw disk storage of $0.04/GB (that’s four cents US per gigabyte), the cost of drive real estate of storing the 4K image on the host system is about $0.04 to store a MILLION of these images. Somehow this doesn’t seem very thoughtful to me.

– Roy Zider

It is not the storage capacity, it’s the bandwith.
Additionally, a huge avatar is annoying and somewhere you’ll have to draw the line.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2609401]It is not the storage capacity, it’s the bandwith.
Additionally, a huge avatar is annoying and somewhere you’ll have to draw the line.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Jeff

Jeff:

GREAT post.

– Roy Zider

:bow:

I can post animated gifs, too:

:bigsmile:

Michael:

I’m sure you can – but nobody can read it: Evidently another sort of restriction you’ve got on this web site.

Club MyCE
vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

In any case, your comment about the bandwidth is valid, up to a point. But I don’t see how it applies here, as the avatar still isn’t any bigger than your indicated max size (it’s less than 1K and your max is 4K, isn’t it?). It’s plucked from photobucket, sent to the user, and the bandwith, such as it is, is generated/consumed by the user’s client browser. No extra MyCE bandwith involved here.

So I’m at a bit of a loss to understand how bandwith plays any significant part in this issue.

– Roy Zider

(Addendum: your animaiton is now visible, after I posted this message. It was only a link originally, and generated the above error message when I tried to follow it. I get the message, but I think you are missing the point here.)

All you really need to do is physically resize your animated avatar to 48x48 in an animated graphics package.

Then it will work.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=FUBARinSFO;2609945]I’m sure you can – but nobody can read it: Evidently another sort of restriction you’ve got on this web site.
(…)
(Addendum: your animaiton is now visible, after I posted this message. It was only a link originally, and generated the above error message when I tried to follow it. I get the message, but I think you are missing the point here.)[/QUOTE]I simply got lost with the attachment file size restriction (97.7 KB) - the photobucket link was a workaround, which I didn’t like. So the reason why the image posted by me did not work was me playing with it. :wink:

Michael

OK, got it – thanks.

This one should work as an avatar:

This is before the resize

too large too:

It’s also selected in the browser config if an anim gif will be played back once or all the time.