Avast update mistakenly detects Windows system files as malware

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Avast update mistakenly detects Windows system files as malware[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/05/myce-avast-logo-large-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Antivirus software from Avast falsely detects Windows DLL files as dangerous and quarantined them causing users to no longer be able to use some of their applications.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/avast-update-mistakenly-detects-windows-system-files-as-malware-75987/](http://www.myce.com/news/avast-update-mistakenly-detects-windows-system-files-as-malware-75987/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This is why the absence of false positives is more important for an anti-virus product than a high detection rate. An anti-virus product is supposed to protect you from problems, not create them.

Avast falsely detects Windows DLL files as dangerous and quarantined them causing users to no longer be able to use some of their applications.

Even more reason not to use or install Avast…So far MSE for my computers and family computers doesn’t do that…and others say MSE isn’t a good A/V program. Makes you wonder doesn’t it…

Are we really sure it’s a false positive? :doh:

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2753613]Are we really sure it’s a false positive? :doh:[/QUOTE]

They said it in their own words…

Avast falsely detects Windows DLL files as dangerous and quarantined them causing users to no longer be able to use some of their applications.

Avast has confirmed that the the issue is caused by a failed signature update.

The company recommends affected users to update their signature file
Wait isn’t their programs suppose to know how to do this automatically? That just sounds like a failed program that can’t do it’s own auto-update to fix the problem? Prime candidate for not using this program.

I use Avast & I like it’
I don’t know why anyone would still be using version 8 or older.
On all but one OS I use the latest version 10 which is not reported to be affected.
The only older one I use is on my Windows 98 SE. I don’t remember the exact version but it is a business version that became free . It still has updates & the only one I know of that does for Windows 98 .

Avast has a long history of False Positives going back to Win 95/98.
Haven’t used it in 15 years and won’t ever use it in the future.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2753613]Are we really sure it’s a false positive? :doh:[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I wonder… :bigsmile:

At least it isn’t causing the entire OS installation to be unusable…this time.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2753635]Avast has a long history of False Positives going back to Win 95/98.
[/QUOTE]
Really? I didn’t realize that. I suppose most of the positive reviews I saw (while I was still using Avast) covered up the high false positive rate. That, or I didn’t fully understand the implications of false positives.

I used the main free AV’s .
AVG , Avira , & Avast .
Right now I like Avast best but I would switch again if I didn’t.
I’m not getting anything found when I scan.
That’s what I want as it should mean nothing is getting in.
I don’t get any false positives.
I also have Emsisoft but it is inactive unless I want to do a scan .
When I use it to scan is usually from Safe mode.
I also have a bootable SD card with Emsisoft & Comodo that can run outside of Windows. The Commodo removes what it finds without asking but keeps a log .
I prefer not to use it unless I suspect I have a virus.
Avast will also do a boot scan & is the easiest to use for this.
It has the option in it’s GUI .Just select it & reboot.

I have used Avast for years and have not had any false positive. and no viruses so far

Marty

[QUOTE=thor21344;2753646]I have used Avast for years and have not had any false positive. and no viruses so far

Marty[/QUOTE]

Just FYI same could be said I used MSE for years and have not had any false positive nor viruses so far… So you see this line of reply say nothing much to anyone reading…

Appearently you don’t care for me, you don’t know mw, just one question, is there any program out here that is any good other then the ones that YOU use. Get off my back

Marty

[QUOTE=thor21344;2753655]Appearently you don’t care for me, you don’t know mw, just one question, is there any program out here that is any good other then the ones that YOU use. Get off my back

Marty[/QUOTE]

Then stop making catch 22 claims then.

I’m so confused at how this started with an innocent reply.

Cool yourself, coolcolors. It was just a simple comment about one person’s experience. No need to get so eager with the reply.

& Marty, you chill & don’t worry about anything. It was just an overly passionate reply…which we see a lot of around here, for some reason.

So we all cool? Good. :slight_smile:

(But I would prefer you sort this out via PM if you’re not done talking. ;))

The protection of MSE is inferior, way below average.
http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-7/december-2014/microsoft-security-essentials-4.6-144986/

Trying to remember if this is a second serious foulup for Avast, or if it was something else that had a similarly destructive FP some time ago

One issue I’ve encountered with Avast a few times on my parents computer is it cutting off the Internet connection when we previously had the paid ‘Internet Security’ version. The first time it happened, I was baffled over why the Internet wouldn’t work, checking Wi-Fi drivers, disconnecting/connecting to Wi-Fi, rebooting and so on.

Then I thought about a past issue when I seen McAfee do this and disabled Avast. The Internet started working. I had to uninstall and reinstall Avast for the Internet to work with Avast running.

Although MSE is a poor choice, personally I use it in combination with Malwarebytes Premium and Sandboxie (which I use for testing unfamiliar software and already caught a scam with it), although I’m sure Malwarebytes is performing the bulk of the protection.

Albert, My Apologies to all on the forum

Marty

Marty , I didn’t see anything you posted that needs an apology .
I posted about the same thing you did about Avast with some added.

coolcolors can be that way sometimes . A bit harsh. Overall he’s a good guy & can be a lot of help.

@ Seán , I haven’t had any Wi-Fi problems with Avast but good to know this.
It certainly wouldn’t have been the first place I would look.
I’ve always used the free version . So maybe just a problem with the paid full version.

So far I recall it giving any further Wi-Fi issues since switching them to the free version about a year ago.

Although I no longer use Avast on my own machines, personally I prefer the free version over the paid versions. It seems to be less intrusive with its ads as I remember the paid version kept periodically showing ads on why I should upgrade to its Premier version and get its GrimeFigher, SecureLine, etc. add-ons. Even its mobile version was rather intrusive. Also, its Firewall kept intermittently blocking our wireless printer, which does not happen in the free version.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2753577]This is why the absence of false positives is more important for an anti-virus product than a high detection rate. An anti-virus product is supposed to protect you from problems, not create them.[/QUOTE]

Well I’m not sure I can agree with that entirely as I think prevention of an attack that could be horrendously difficult to recover from is more important than a false positive.

It is still important to avoid false positives although I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect both, as the best packages seem to be able to achieve this.

I suppose that’s one of the major pluses of the round up reviews that are carried out regularly though as it keeps track of how the various packages continue to perform and also has the added benefit of keeping the developers on their toes.

[B]Wombler[/B]