Availability of TY DVD+Rs in the UK

vbimport

A friend coming from the UK has offered to bring me a batch of good (TY) DVD+Rs (which are either unavailable or rare and way over-priced here in Chiangmai).

He looked for Plextors, and couldn’t find any. So does anyone know of a source for TY-made DVD+Rs (8x would be fine) in the UK? A brick-and-mortar store would be good (my friend’s in Leeds), since he’s not experienced in online purchases. But an online store would be fine too – we all need to learn sooner or later, and sooner is better.

Thanks for any information.

If you’re looking for TY at retail in the UK your best (only?) bet would be Verbatim Pastel DVD media.

Thanks for the quick response. Just one question, well two actually: do these come in spindles or in singles, and are they labelled ‘Made in Japan’. (My friend needs all the help he can get since he’s an academic (I used to be one, so I know how out of it it’s easy to be), and in a field so obscure he more or less created it – very, very smart, but not about shopping.)

AFAIK they only come in jewel cases in 5 disc boxes. They should say “Made in Japan” on the back.

Thanks for the information.

I have 8x TY DVD+R/-R, and 16x TY DVD-R, but I have not seen any 16x TY DVD+R yet - mine are mostly 25 disc spindles with a few 10 disc cakeboxes.

8x Fujfilm DVD+R can be had for ~ £7.50 (inc VAT) for 25 disc cakebox -they are TY.

Yup the aprmedia Fuji relabeled TY is the best deal that I have seen on TY discs in the UK. http://www.aprmedia.com/product.php?pid=1931

I’ve ordered 200 of these from APR & they do appear to be genuine. Delivery from APR is also very good. I can , so far, highly recommend them.

buy them online brick & mortar stores can be twice the price

you could try svp.co.uk or more specifically here: http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/dvdplusrprint.html look at the bottom of the page 100 genuine printable TY dvd+r £51 (which is extremely expensive)

I completely forgot Fuji was selling TY under its brand name in Europe. I guess being in the US has something to do with that, but I try to keep up with what’s going on in other markets :slight_smile:

Yes, but Fuji is unfortunately changing from Made in Japan to Made in Taiwan for their 8x DVD+R media (Prodisc?). All Fujifilm 8x DVD+R cakeboxes at a wholesale store (Metro) I visited today in Copenhagen, Denmark, were Made in Taiwan. :sad:

Fortunately I just bought 100 Fujifilm 8x DVD+R Taiyo Yuden from an on-line shop, after I read that Fuji Taiyo Yudens were getting hard to find in the U.S. Now I’m glad I did! :slight_smile:

I’ve seen no shortage of Fuji 8x +R TY discs, but the -R (TYG02) seem to have all but vanished, replaced by PRODISCF01 and FUJIFILM03.