AV sender recommendations

vbimport

After discovering it was going to cost her a fortune to add an extra Sky box in her bedroom, the guy from Sky recommended to my mum that she get a Sky compatible AV sender.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was a good idea and if so, is there any particular make/model that is better?

Much appreciated

Alison

AV senders usually come in two types - one which is a small set-top box that connects to the scart socket with a lead and the other which is a tiny single complete unit that plugs directly into the scart socket. This small unit model has the advantage of not not having another set-top box. However, it does require another power outlet and an “eye” to be positioned in front of the TV or Sky box.

If the rooms are close together, especially side-by-side, you should have no problem using the small scart unit version.

The small set-top box version (which has an aerial or small dish) has the advantage in that you can position it anywhere around the TV for best transmission, so if the rooms are far appart such as opposite ends of the house, go for this type.

One thing to watch out for is that most AV senders use the 2.4GHz band, which is the same as most Wi-Fi networks and from my experience, some video senders will show flashing lines across the screen when the Wi-Fi is in use. In one case I seen, no channel choice on either the AV sender or Wi-Fi access point would eliminate the interference. So if you can, try getting an AV sender that does not use the 2.4GHz band.

The rooms are just across the hallway from each other so maybe the little plug in one would work OK.

Are there any particular brands that are better than others or are they all much of a much?

I can’t recall any brand name off hand that I’ve helped set up for a few people. However, like Wi-Fi, I would imagine the picture quality and transmission distance to be fairly similar, as positioning seems to be the main important thing.

For pricing, they are typically around €30 to €50 (likely £20 to £40 in UK). I would suggest trying one from a local home electronics store rather than online, as this way you can see what it looks like and easily bring it back if it doesn’t work out.

Brilliant thanks. I’ll try and source locally and give them a go to see how they are.