AUTOSTRATEGY - TY and Plextor Tech?

vbimport

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=10827

Any opinions? :bigsmile:

Interesting and promising… we’ll see… :stuck_out_tongue:

ET

Sounds promosing indeed. I like this quote a lot:

We have successfully demonstrated that the PX-716 with AUTOSTRATEGY is capable of providing high-quality writing over a broad spectrum of media. This remarkable feature will appeal to anyone who purchases unbranded media to save money, but has been disappointed by low-quality recordings in the past.

The drive features a range of new features, including “AutoStrategy,”, a technology that determines the standard deviation of any blank disc and automatically optimizes the write strategy for unknown media. “Lossless Linking/Zero Link” technology enables users to perform basic editing tasks directly on the DVD disc, so there is no need to reload DVD content back to a PC to make minor changes, and no need to re-burn an entire DVD after making small edits, Plextor said.

How should that work at least on WORM media?

Source:

This remarkable feature will appeal to anyone who purchases unbranded media to save money, but has been disappointed by low-quality recordings in the past.

They should have rather said:

This remarkable feature will appeal to anyone who purchased PX712A in good faith, but has been disappointed by low-quality recordings. :sad:

OR

This remarkable feature will appeal to anyone who purchased PX712A and got scrued by component tolerance errors. :sad: :sad:

OR

This remarkable feature will finally deliver what PX712A has promissed but failed to deliver. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I still doubt this auto strategy will make much difference for crap media like Princos or those damn Matrix dvdrs. I do believe that better quality burns can be achieved on decent to excellent grade medias though.

LOL plextor must really love youy! :smiley: You just keep getting funnier! :iagree: :smiley:

Anyway, I have some :Z :Z :Z :Z :Z AN30 media :Z :Z :Z :Z :Z (yeah, they are even worse that AN31) waiting for the new 716A… we’ll see. :slight_smile:

Or maybe you will get a PI<10 burn like HAMP’s but then the media will become unreadable in a week! LOL :rolleyes:

ET

Crap media will stay crap media … no OPC on earth (as sophisticated as can be) can do magic (besides lowering the writing speed) about most low-level disc errors … e.g. sub-standard disc reflexivity, sky-high asymmetry or a sub-standard dye (even polycarbonate) purity.

Walking OPC can be a handy tool if you are dealing with e.g. discs that show dye thickness fluctuations or dye thickness in-/decrease (these do often occur due to the spin-coating process used by most - if not all - disc manufacturers).

Well, at the moment I really love them too … :smiley: I love them even more since they’ve announced the new 716A, while the good old me, after 4 months I’m still stuck with a substandard 712A :a

I reckon they should temporarely change their name to “Random” :bigsmile: instead of “Plextor” … just until they release the new 716A … then they can revert back to their original name :wink: :wink: :wink: What can I say, even against the odds, I’m still a funny character :wink: Meanwhile, I’ll eagerly wait for their professional killer :iagree:

I just hope there new drive will be good, and i mean as good as they were in the days there cd-rw drives were gods!
Yet again u crack me up with your comments! but they are all true ! plextor at the moment really should be called “Random” :slight_smile: :iagree: :iagree:
yet again fingers crossed at the new drive! lets hope our past cd-rw kings really do live up to the “king of quality” sig once again!

OK, it’s time to revisit Autostrategy. I have run some tests last night on some “bad” media (actually, just media that the PX-716A doesn’t like) to see what affect Autostrategy has on it.

Media I tested was Khypermedia (sometimes known as Crappermedia, at least on my Pioneer drive… :wink: ).

First burn with PX-716A FW1.02 TLA#0102 PR On and AS On was a disaster, with PI rates shooting up near 1000! I decided to try drastic measures.

I went into Plextools under Autostrategy and did a media quality check. The media immediately showed up as CMC-MAG-E01-0 in the Autostrategy database.

I then did a second burn with PR Off. This one was much better, but error rates still went to about 100 during the first 1GB or so. I scanned this one as well.

Then I turned PR On and burned again. Another train wreck, but error rates were only briefly up to about 200. Looking at the write transfer curve, the drive’s behavior was changing!

To make a long story short, after 3 “training” burns–with both AS AND PR turned ON, the drive seems to be learning how to burn these discs. Now the write transfer curve has evolved to come very close to the original curve with AS and PR turned Off, except with a brief “throttling” as it accelerates to 8X right at the point where the errors previously mounted.

The results now are considerably improved–generally below 5 PI! TA checks all now show 5/5 (Excellent). Avg PI is only 0.23 for a disc that previously had a monstrous error slope.

Now, every disc of this brand comes out Excellent, but I had to waste 4 discs to train the drive (I suppose I could have just burned some full discs, but I wanted to see the write transfer curve).

It’s very interesting to see the beta get closer and closer to 0.00 and the jitter get lower and lower with each burn. This really is quite an amazing drive. Of course, if this behavior had been programmed into the firmware at the beginning it would have saved me some trouble, but it does indicate that the drive can adapt to new media. Now I just wish I could force it to 16X on this 8X rated media and train it there… :stuck_out_tongue:

So I guess Autostrategy works. Anyone else care to try a run with their unit?
I’ll post my evolutionary scans later. I’ll try overlaying the scans in Photoshop so you can see the dramatic difference from burn to burn as it learned the disc.

Great news. Only problem seems 16x burning. But I think that we’ll have to wait for PX 816 (or whatever) to see it working.

LOL :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Why not call it You revolutionary scans ?!?!? :wink: :wink: :wink:

That looks indeed very interesting , Beeder , and it makes me wonder whether everybody with a 716 should follow Your example , as it may be that 716 is VERY different , an AI-unit ! :cool:
Actually I think I saw some pretty nice scans from bladeede very much like You describe … :cop:

OK, here are a couple of scans showing what happened as described in http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=786342&postcount=12

The blue is the first burn, red is the second, and green is the third.
Note that the burn speed actually increased the more the drive “learned” about the media. A straight burn (with AS and PR off), while nearly the same speed as the final burn, did not produce as good results, so there’s more changes to the burn process than just speed alone.

I overlaid the scans for easy comparison. Note that the burn quality increased across the entire disc (even though there was not much room for improvement in some areas).

What remains to be seen is whether the Autostrategy data can be preserved after a firmware update. (For some reason, I don’t think so, but we’ll see.)

That is a very interesting findings Beeder.

If I remember correctly, the AS database does not show anything for recommended media (such as TY, MCC). But I tried until fw. 1.01 only since I don’t have the drive anymore.

Just thought I would add this.

Plextor Europe has finally added the PX-716A media compatability list and a
new section added is, “Recordable DVD+R Media supported by AutoStrategy:
PX-716A (Latest Firmware)” .

http://www.plextor.be/technicalservices/technology/cdrmedia.asp?choice=Supported%20media

check it out.

I will definitely buy a unit once it is sold below 100€ … :bigsmile:

Hm. Isn’t ND-3500A for much less than that in Europe? PX-716A in Seoul is now cheaper than ever but still the lowest price is about US$160. Including tax and shipping, about US$180.

@Beeder

Great findings. :iagree: If I ever get a PX-716A, I’d need 500 or so blank disks for Create Data Disc tests to “tame” 100 types of media. US$180 + US$0.5 * 250 = US$430. :sad:

Many of the poor-quality media are present in the tables for DVD-R and DVD+R. Brand / Supported Write Speed / Rated Write Speed.

DVD-R

3A-Media 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Daxon Technology Inc 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Digital Storage Technology 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Digital Storage Technology 4X DVD-R (4X)
E-TOP Mediatek 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Euro Digital Data 4X DVD-R (4X)
Fornex 4X DVD-R (4X)
GigaStorage 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Infodisc 4X DVD-R (4X)
Infodisc 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Infomedia 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
InterAxia 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
MAM-E 4X DVD-R (4X)
MJC 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
OPTODISC 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
OPTODISC 4X DVD-R (4X)
Plasmon Data Systems Ltd. 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Plasmon Data Systems Ltd. 4X DVD-R (4X)
Postech 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Prodisc Technology Inc 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Ritek 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
SKC Co., Ltd. 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
SKY 4X DVD-R (4X)
Taroko 4X DVD-R (4X)
Ume Disc 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)

DVD+R

3A-Media 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Daxon Technology Inc 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Digital Storage Technology 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Digital Storage Technology 4X DVD-R (4X)
E-TOP Mediatek 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Euro Digital Data 4X DVD-R (4X)
Fornex 4X DVD-R (4X)
GigaStorage 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Infodisc 4X DVD-R (4X)
Infodisc 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Infomedia 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
InterAxia 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
MAM-E 4X DVD-R (4X)
MJC 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
OPTODISC 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
OPTODISC 4X DVD-R (4X)
Plasmon Data Systems Ltd. 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Plasmon Data Systems Ltd. 4X DVD-R (4X)
Postech 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
Ritek 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
SKC Co., Ltd. 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)
SKY 4X DVD-R (4X)
Taroko 4X DVD-R (4X)
Ume Disc 8X (4X ~ 8X) DVD-R (8X)