Automatic MP3 Tagger That Only Fixes Selected Fields?

I’m looking for an mp3 tagger for Windows that will automatically update album info, track, year, and preferably artwork, but won’t mess with my title and artist fields. Basically, one that will let me choose which tag fields I want it to fix. I know it sounds strange, but I’ve spent a long time verifying I have the right title on songs that may have multiple wordings or and/& conflicts in Musicbrainz and other databases, and I’d just like to keep them that way. Besides, they don’t need to be fixed (or accidentally unfixed), anyway. Before I download a bunch of programs in search of this option, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good program where I could find this feature.

Thanks!

I use Roxio 9 "MOVE & RENAME AUDIO FILE "application. You can rename the entire album. It uses Gracenote database. I renamed hundreds of albums using it and ite very easy to use. I say Roxio 9 because I upgraded to Version 10 and this application was now hidden under Audio batch converter application. I posted a How to in Roxio Forum TIPS and Tricks check it out. this is the best i found so far though its a commercial and a bit pricey.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m looking more for something that will do my whole collection at once, though, rather than album-by-album.

Hi,

you might have a look at mp3tag: http://mp3tag.de/en/index.html
Very powerful and it’s free :slight_smile:

The Godfather works pretty good too. [http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Tag-Editors/The-GodFather.shtml](http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Tag-Editors/The-GodFather.shtml I) I believe the latest WinAmp can do auto tagging too.

I have tried several MP3 taggers and some of them edit the tags but won’t rename the files. Like for example you have an album ripped and ended up with Track no1, Track no2, etc. you would want these files to be renamed with the actual tracks don’t you? I have not encountered an application that would do an entire collection yet. That would be great if there’s any as I have thousands of albums to rename. I buy the Top 40 albums and compilations in DVD MP3 form every month and most albums only have Track 1,2,3,4 etc on them.

The GodFather can rename. After I fix the tags i always rename ‘Title - Artist - Album’ and it’s just a couple of clicks for one song or a thousand.

Well, I want to try God father but the link doesn’t work.

I try googling it:bigsmile:

Is this a fact? Because I have a thousand MP3 album collection that still needs to be done edit the tags and rename. You are saying that if I load 1000 albums to the application it will scan the audio files in each album and compare /search the data base to get the tags and file names in just two clicks? (could take a day) Wow! If Godfather can do this I can save a thousand minutes as EMC9 will search and scan file after file that are loaded to its “ID Music” window using Gracenote’s database. I used to do it per album (most albums contains its CD covers) very few it cannot identify. I used it to edit and rename the tags of my 400 oldies albums collection (50’s,60’s 70’s and 80’s) I have 10,000 MP3 albums collection so far in all gendre and my 500 gig seagate external is fast filling up.

[QUOTE=Ripperfreak;1919691]Is this a fact? Because I have a thousand MP3 album collection that still needs to be done edit the tags and rename. You are saying that if I load 1000 albums to the application it will scan the audio files in each album and compare /search the data base to get the tags and file names in just two clicks? (could take a day) Wow! If Godfather can do this I can save a thousand minutes as EMC9 will search and scan file after file that are loaded to its “ID Music” window using Gracenote’s database. I used to do it per album (most albums contains its CD covers) very few it cannot identify. I used it to edit and rename the tags of my 400 oldies albums collection (50’s,60’s 70’s and 80’s) I have 10,000 MP3 albums collection so far in all gendre and my 500 gig seagate external is fast filling up.[/QUOTE]

You know, I’ve tried out the Godfather, and either I don’t get it, or it’s not anywhere as automated as I thought it would be. Neither are any of the other programs I’ve tried, with the exception of FixTunes. Though the fact that no one every talks about FixTunes makes me wonder if it’s any good or not…

If you have the tags fixed first. FWIW I just tried the Auto Tagger in WinAmp and it works.

If that’s the case then you are doing it twice. In EME9 it will edit the tags and rename in one process that only lasts few seconds per track depending on the speed of your connection.

here’s how in EMC9: Open “Rename and Move audio files” under “Audio”>Resulting window explorer find and select your album and click to open, tracks will be displayed on the right window>Highlight the tracks to be Renamed and click “add tracks”> Once loaded to the new window click on “Edit audio tags”>A new window appears and click on" ID Music"> Gracenote scans and Rename you can see the progress in the window as it displays “To be identified” and " Indentified " so with a progress bar. Once done the new and the old track names will be displyed on the right window click on “Done” This process of a 15 track album will last about two minutes approx. This is how i done it using EMC9 In EMC10 you have to you have to USE Batch Conversion to get access on the application. well, Oly I will stick to this way hehehehehe.