Automated CD Duplication & Printing advice

I am looking for a low cost system that will print batches of 100 to 200 audio CD’s for a school music department. It would be nice to have an automated system that will also print (close to) professional looking labels (not ink jet). Someone recommended I look into Primera duplicators and thermal printers. These look like they will do what I want, but new systems are a little out of our price range. I am considering a ‘slightly used’ system (duplicator and Inscripta printer) on ebay right now that looks like a great (much more affordable) deal, but I’m not sure if I should risk getting a used system. Anyone with experience as to how well these units hold up, or any other suggestions as to where I could look? Thanks.

I’m not sure about the automated process, but if this is a one time deal, a CD/DVD duplicator is a bit expensive. You can burn multiple cd’s at one time if you have the proper setup (you can search the forum here for ideas others have used). As for cheap lables, it isn’t automatic, but it does a great job and is inexpensive, just pick up an Epson R200 or R300 printer for around $50.00. They do a great job. Doing that many CD/DVD’s, plan on an additional $90.00 for an extra set of ink cartridges…

Thanks for the reply. I will need batches of a few hundred CD’s made 2 or 3 times each year, so I would like something automated. I would also prefer a more professional looking label than ink jet, right on the silver CD surface, which I understand this thermal printer will give me.

[QUOTE=MXMike;1183831]I am looking for a low cost system that will print batches of 100 to 200 audio CD’s for a school music department. It would be nice to have an automated system that will also print (close to) professional looking labels (not ink jet). Someone recommended I look into Primera duplicators and thermal printers. These look like they will do what I want, but new systems are a little out of our price range. I am considering a ‘slightly used’ system (duplicator and Inscripta printer) on ebay right now that looks like a great (much more affordable) deal, but I’m not sure if I should risk getting a used system. Anyone with experience as to how well these units hold up, or any other suggestions as to where I could look? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

We have used 2 Inscripta printers for a couple of years. I would not recommend them. Primera stopped manufacturing these… They are very tempermental… We are looking to get rid of them.

I nned to add that the Primera Inscripta is not automated. One must insert a single CD at a time into a very flimsy tray… Copy time per CD is about 35 seconds.