Authoring Software Question?

I’ve tried to use Mediostream Neo-DVD 4.1 for authoring. This program is “supposed” to support VOBs as well as AC3, so I figured it would be ideal for editing and/or adding a menu to any movies I’ve transcoded with DVD2one.

The problem is that although it does import the VOBs and does support AC3, the performance and output are unusable. I realize that this is an inexpensive program but damn!!! I contacted tech support and they did respond, basically giving me all the same possible solutions that I already read online…and tried to no avail.

Any attempt at VOB file playback results in skipped frames and out of sync audio. I thought maybe this just appeared during editing and would not appear in the output, unfortunately that isn’t the case.

I’ve tried with ripped files before and after transcoding with DVD2one and the same results. It doesn’t have that problem with “ordinary” MPEG-2 files but I bought it specifically for the VOBs/AC3 capability.

I don’t think my equipment is the problem, Athlon 2100 XP, G-Force 4600, 1gb memory and 80 gb dedicated hd running on WIN XP with SP1. All my drivers/bios are up to date, so if anyone is using this product I’d appreciate any feedback OR any suggestions on another product that can do what I want.

Fortunately, NEO wasn’t expensive, so I’ll eat it if I have to and use a product that works. I wonder, although NEO seems to be a pretty nice product if it’s a question of “you get what you pay for”?

Help Anyone!
Mike

Simply demux the VOB files into mpv (Video) and ac3 (audio) streams with vStrip, VOBEdit, etc and then these can be authored in IfoEdit (its Freeware) or just about any other authoing program like Maestro, SpruceUp, Scenarist, etc etc

Thanks for the reply CM but I was aware of that already. I’ve used Spruce. I was looking for something where I could avoid the extra steps of demux ing and just import the VOBs directly and work with AC3 files.

It seems that most of the progs I’ve encountered either do one or the other but not both. I’ve been doing some more research and it appears that DVDit PE might do it and without demux ing streams but for the casual use I’m looking for $600 is way too much for me. OhWell!

Thanks anyway,
Mike

Likemike,I’ve sent you a private message,maybe it will help you

Got your PM Ruffrob, I’ll check it out. BTW, do you know if the famous or infamous DVD Maestro has the capability I need, or is it similar to Spruce where you have to demux the streams?

Thanks,
Mike

Maestro (SpruceUp’s big brother) will only accept demuxed individual streams.

Thanks CM. That’s what I thought. :frowning: I did discover something new with NEO-DVD. It works fine with VOBs that have only 2 channel AC-3 audio streams. It seems like the prob has been with the Dolby 5.1 6 channel AC-3 streams. Unfortunately, just about all the VOBs that I’ll be working with are 6 channel with the exception of most extras.

I notified NEO’s tech-support to see if they have a solution, otherwise I’ll have to figure a workaround that’s not too time consuming. After all, that’s why I’m using a prog like DVD2one instead of the “old fashioned” way with CCE, Spruce etc.

Worst case scenario, I’ll be able to edit the extras if need be.

Thanks again for your replies CM.

Mike